Happiness Just Comes Easy

I double checked my self for signs of betrayal before I hopped out of my brand new Mercedes and headed towards the pastel yellow house. I opened the mellow blue door, as my three small children ran and tackled my feet.

“Whoa!” I exclaimed with a warm smile.

“How was work Daddy?” questioned my oldest daughter Elliot.

“Good, but great now that I’m home with my four beautiful girls.”

I slid over to my wife Alice and kissed her lightly on the lips. I lingered longer to stare into those bright blue eyes that I had loved since that first day I met her. She did that smile that only showed when she was truly blissful with life. It touched every part of her flawless face, all the way up to those eyes.

We sat down to a great family dinner of steak and sautéed mushrooms with a side of garlic green beans and tossed salad. Alice even cracked open a Chateau Meraux and poured me a generous amount. I looked around at what I had, and thought about how so many other families weren’t as lucky as us. The steak and mushrooms tasted like something you would buy for thirty- five dollars at a four star restaurant, which was normal for Alice. She had lived in France for a year to study under top chefs, and it undoubtedly showed.

After dinner we all gathered around the television and watched Little Mermaid for what felt like the 200th time because I had every line memorized to the point that I could even mimic their expressions. Alas, I didn’t care, they were my babies and I would do anything for them. I tucked every one of my three beautiful daughters into bed. First was Elliot, she always told me about the latest drama around the house that day. Then was Olivia and all she ever wanted was for me to read a short story and a hug, she was the easiest to please. Last was Sawyer, my adorable little miracle of a four-year-old that always had a gummy smile for me.

When they were all tucked in and counting sheep, I padded down the hallway to my bedroom and slid into the expensive sheets while Alice washed her face in the bathroom.

“How was work today Tate? Did you save the world from financial downfall?” she started with before a snicker slipped out.

“Why of course sweetie, I am the superman of Stock Brokers,” I replied with a sarcastic smile.

She hopped in next to me and kissed me with soothing, soft lips. We shared a moment. She touched my arm and wrapped it around her incredibly flat stomach, sleep came easy and dreams were plentiful.

A monotonous beeping woke me up from my dream world and I groggily got ready for work: took a shower, got dressed and made some coffee for me and the missus. I looked up from my morning paper just as she gracefully sauntered down the staircase. She leaned over my shoulder and held each of my hands, tracing the lines across my palms for a minute.

“You should probably get to work darling,” she reminded me, I slid out from her grasp and kissed her cheek briefly.

“Love you angel,” were the last words I called before I shut the door and strolled towards that gorgeous Mercedes. I started it up and heard the purr of the motor.

“God I love this car,” I thought to myself.

I drove past the familiar route that I had traveled on so often and arrived at the familiar place. I double checked myself and walked up the driveway to the dark green house. I opened the bright red door and stepped inside.

“Daddy!” I heard as I immediately set foot on the oak wood floor.

I looked up and saw Jack playing with Legos in the middle of the living room floor. In the kitchen was my gorgeous Emma preparing breakfast in her robe. Her stunning smile lit up the room when she saw me. She had my favorite coffee mug full of piping hot espresso and a plate of eggs Florentine on the table, waiting for my arrival. I grinned from ear to ear and thought to myself about how we were so lucky, happiness came easy. She flicked her dark, auburn hair behind her ear as she approached me.

“How was the work trip honey?” she said with a smile and a peck on the cheek.

summerdreamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
ending was awesome but not as surprising as the others said. I figured the ending out in the first paragraph when you said he checked himself. yet, the fact I figured it out was what made it so great, for me at least. this guy in the story is a turd :( I officially dislike him but anyway LOVE IT! definitely going in my favorites and personally I think it should have been in the magazine!

thepreachyteenager said...
Nov. 6, 2010 at 9:53 am
I loved that story line- great twist.  Your description throughout this was also great- I could see everything very vividly.  A sure 5 stars.  The storyline was just so original, and that's what really made this great!

red-head said...
umm that was cool i think i'll have to read it again :)

SOS.me said...
Wow, very suprising! I liked it a lot!

Vanendra said...
Nov. 5, 2010 at 9:11 am
great story,I liked it ^-^