Last Words | Teen Ink

Last Words

October 27, 2010
By shimmering_stars GOLD, Fowler, Michigan
shimmering_stars GOLD, Fowler, Michigan
10 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Alone for the second time in a day, she stood outside his door.
Being pregnant- the news had been too much; he kicked her out only hours after her parents had done the same.
Crossing the street, she recalled his words.
“Done! I’m done. This is too much for me. It’s over. Leave.”
Even severe depression could worsen, she noted as she began to run, tears streaming down her face.
Finally, she realized, there was nowhere to turn, to run, no resolution.
Gasping for breath, she sprinted recklessly down the street.
Hearing his words over and over, she continued, running into people, barely registering their angry shouts.
“Izzie!” she heard her name called loudly.
Jarred from her trance, she looked up to see her boyfriend’s face, no longer angry, but confused and sad.
Kissing her softly, he wrapped his arms around her, as if to protect her from what he had done.
“Leave me alone,” she said in a monotone, her feelings numb.
Moving away slowly, he looked into her eyes.
Nothing could be seen in them, no feeling, no love, and no sadness.
On the verge of hysteria, he pleaded with her.
“Please! Izzie, I didn’t mean it. I love you. Don’t give up on me… on life.”
Quietly, she whispered “I already have,” and walked away.
Resisting the urge to follow her, he stood, his mind in conflict.
Silently, she walked to the end of the pier and looked into the water.
There was only one choice.
Unworried, she stood, the icy wind whipping her hair.
Violently, someone jerked her arm- him again.
“Why are you doing this? You used to have this zeal for life… and it’s gone! It’s like you’re dead, Izzie, and it’s not right! I can’t let you do this,” he said as she shook her head in disagreement.
“Exceptions… there are exceptions for every rule, Izzie, your story doesn’t have to have a tragic ending,” he begged.
“You’re wrong. It’s too late,” she replied, tugging her arm away and raising her arms into a diver’s arc.
Zeal for life, what a joke, she thought as she jumped, hearing his screams pierce the air until the water overcame her.


The author's comments:
I wanted people to realize how real tragedy can be, and how depression can affect you.