Rain Rain Go Away

The rain is pouring again and I cannot sleep. “Rain rain go away come again some other day” I sing it over and over again. It comforts me in some strange way that the man woke up and bumped his head. I spend another night in an unfamiliar room. These strange people tell me it is my home. A pile of bags sits in the corner and I tippy toe over to them. The floor boards groan and give me away. I stop and wait for my so called parents to catch me. I pull out my picture of better times, when I truly had a family. This is all that is left of what was mine. Our smiles trapped forever behind a piece of glass. I wish we could have been warned about what would come to pass. Mommy and Daddy took Bret to New York and they were taking pictures when the towers collapsed. I never saw them again, the boxes they slept in were closed. People keep telling me its okay to cry if I want to. But I don't like the rain so I sing to myself.
I finally fall asleep and when I wake up in the morning the sun is shining. My song must have worked, because my cheeks are dry. I didn’t cry and the rain finally stopped. If I don't cry I will be okay, I smell waffles and eggs downstairs. As I walk down I remember mom always made pancakes for breakfast because I didn’t like waffles. Maybe she will wake up from the box and make me pancakes. I frown at my plate as my new mother cuts up the waffle for me, she doesn’t realize I can do this myself. She talks about how happy I will be in my new home. She says we are going to have a great time and that I will be okay. She wants to buy me new clothes even though I have plenty. She wants me to start school on Monday, she says third grade isn’t that bad.
I know it isn’t that bad when Tommy Lovern is sitting next to me making joke. I know it isn’t bad when Bret is in fifth grade down the hall. I know it isn’t that bad when Stacey and I play on the swings together. I know third grade isn’t bad when I come home and mommy gives me kisses. I know it isn’t bad when I get to help make dinner for daddy. But it is bad because I don't have any of that anymore. Stacey is several states away and Bret Mommy and Daddy wont wake up. Tommy is never going to give me cooties like he promised he would. I wont get to help make dinner for daddy ever again.
When I realize this I finally start to cry and sing as loud as I can “Rain rain go away come again some other day!”

SMWells said...
The fact that some children probably lost there perents in that dreadfull event never even crossed my mind. Probibly because, unlike you, I don't think about whats auful if I can aviod it.

echome94 replied...
I have akways had what my dad calls "The Gift" of putting myself in somebody elses place. I am good at it but it also leaves me kind of sad. I started to cry when i wrote this

SMWells replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 8:03 am
Thats OK, I did to.