The Family (Mini) Epic | Teen Ink

The Family (Mini) Epic

By reihreih BRONZE, Carthage, Missouri
reihreih BRONZE, Carthage, Missouri
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

This is the story of the prodigal son. He left the house to do whatever he wanted. Then he learned of the hardships a young man had to face, and came running home with his tale between his legs. Life resumed as normal around the Lambeth household. Normalcy was restored; everyone put in their place. The tensions were high but we tried not to notice, till the prodigal son tried again to escape.
The Father and Son once again had a fight. The Son wanted something the Parents ruled out. He left in a huff, though he could have stayed. It was his choice and for his choice he did pay. He left for a trailer, disgusting and gross, and lived in the back yard of the family, “his hosts”. He had no running water and no working stove. He lived on potatoes that he learned to grow. He worked hard in the fields, yet had nothing to show.
He left all his comforts to make his own rules but then when he came home he had rules upon rules. The Son told the Parents, “The army’s for me!” So he took off on bus while we said, “We’ll see.” He left for the summer thinking he’d prove us wrong. So we went about our business and waited to see who would be wrong.
So life once again resembled normalcy. The Parents and Daughter did their own things. Then the Daughter had a bright idea and a plan. She thought to herself, “Why I could move out! I’m old enough and with a job and place to go, nothing could go wrong.” Well the Father and Daughter got in a fight. That’s when the Daughter tried to say “bye”. The Parents said “Oh no, not you to.” They called in back up and the Parents couldn’t lose.
After the drama of yet another escape tensions were crazy and the Family waited. The Prodigal Son was due home any time, and with no word of failure plans had to be made. Hotels were booked and travel plans made. We could have headed out the very next day. Then came a phone call, (the one we was expecting) to tell us the news. “We’re sorry good people but your Son’s graduation is History. We can’t allow him to fight for this army.”Well the Hotels were un-booked and the plans were cancelled. The Family again waited the return of the Son.
Life went on for the next couple weeks; the Son’s room was cleaned out so he could once again move in. The Parents sat down and talked out the events. They decided to live here the Son would have to pay rent. So they came up with a good price and a plan to rule, then the Family sat back and waited some more.
Well eventually he arrived back at the house. His cocky nature had only got worse. The Parents let him do whatever he wanted. He boasted about things he couldn’t even afford. He even attempted to rig the door. The Daughter just sat back and put up with his crap. She knew eventually the parents would wake up. They would get sick of a nineteen year old who believed he was special enough to run the household.
Now the story has caught up with the events of the time. There’s nothing left to do but to wait and to watch to see if the Prodigal Son will take off. The Daughter will sit back and watch her own personal show. She has a good feeling she’s knows how it will go.

This piece actually started out as an AP Lit assignment. After I started writing it the story just sort of flowed out of my fingers onto the paper and it became more than just a silly story for a Lit class.

reihreih BRONZE, Carthage, Missouri
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment
Actually it didn't take me long at all....

mskullgirl GOLD, Waban, Massachusetts

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream -Edgar Allen Poe

This is awsome! You made it rhym sooooo well! It must have taken you forever! Please keep writting!