Black-Rimmed Glasses and Toothpaste | Teen Ink

Black-Rimmed Glasses and Toothpaste

September 28, 2010
By EmmyGrangerDC BRONZE, Houston, Texas
EmmyGrangerDC BRONZE, Houston, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

Why is it that the one who made you cry is the only one that can keep you from crying? - Anonymous


My mom was to come home in twenty minutes, and I still hadn't gone to the store for the groceries. She was going to kill me. I'd decided to stay in the library after school because I needed to finish an essay in English, a very significant essay; it was worth 60% of my overall grade, and Mrs. Damask was intent on torturing us till the end of May came around. As soon as the essay was saved on my flash drive, I whirled around to look for the clock in the library, hoping I hadn't taken half of my afternoon. Twitching slightly, the lean minute hand slowly made it's way to the twelve. The hour hand yearned to reach the six. I was very, very late.

I ran out of the school waddling like a duck, for my messenger bag brought me down only on one side, and I held my keys on the hand opposite it. I pressed the Unlock button, and I heard my black Ford F-150 beep twice from the end of the student parking lot. I shrieked in complaint of the idiocy of my decision to stay after school. I waddled all the way, opened the door, shoved my stuff in the copilot seat, and practically hurled myself in. I was irritated to the core; I backed out of the parking lot, and sped my way to the nearest grocery store, which in this case, happened to be Wal-Mart.

I think I'd have taken less time going to the next town over and coming back, because it was packed in there. People going every which way, pushing, shoving, apparently they were having rollbacks today, and I was the only person who hadn't known. It was total chaos. I made my way through the swarm, and found the hygiene section. What had my mom wanted? Toothpaste, shampoo, her cough drops...

As I scrolled down the list in my head, with toothpaste already in hand, I crashed into someone, and I fell to the floor. All I remember is waking up, what seemed like hours later, into the strong arms of a stranger. He wore square, black rimmed glasses, and his light brown eyes were magnified behind them, as were his long eyelashes. His face was olive colored, and his arms were too. His expression was worried, and I heard no sounds of rushing people, but the faint sound of trees rustling and birds chirping. The words that managed to leave my mouth were about the most embarrassing words I'd ever heard myself say.

"You're beautiful..."

When the story was told to me of how this happened long after, I was sure I'd been on something that Autumn day.

The author's comments:
Most of my writing is based on one thing and one thing only: I was either not ready to go sleep, or I was bored out of my mind. This story was created from both. I hope you enjoy it, there might be another part, or should I say, there will be a new part.
PS. There's no picture because if you're like me, no matter what the author describes a person as, I'll imagine them as the picture. Let your imagination run wild.