The Sky Explodes

I remember that night. I sat outside on my porch, talking to you on the phone.
The stars, like bright eyes, blinked down at me.
I found myself wondering if the night was a dome of black and the stars were life, shining through from the other side.
I remember that you said, "I hate feeling like this." Your voice was so heavy, so tired. So, so tired. It needed rest.
I remember saying, "feeling like that?"
And you said: "Numb."

Then the dial tone hummed in my ears, too loud against the silence of night fall. At the time I'd figured that you'd fallen asleep, only now do I realize you'd actually hung up.

Lightning struck then, a vibrant white stripe. Tears began falling from the sky, sadness rumbled along with the thunder.

It was the next morning when I'd found out you'd killed yourself.
To this day, I believe that if you had went outside into the storm, you would have found comfort. Comfort in the fact that sometimes, even the sky breaks down. There's always the morning, it always gets brighter.
Why didn't you f***ing go outside, God damn it?

Why?
Why?

Why?

I don't even think I want to know the answer to that.

marinashutup This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 7:40 pm:
This is lovely :) I loved the rain imagery.

through_my_eyes said...
I like it. Nice work :)

thestorygirl replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm :
Late reply, but thank you :)

through_my_eyes replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 2:30 pm :
to me, its sorta like darkness unfolding into a different sort of light, a different way to explore it. I can't really describe it well, but thats why i like it :D

MaddieGrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow.. it is pretty :o in a depressing sort of way but still. It's funny how storms can be a solace.

thestorygirl replied...
Dec. 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm :
Aha, I know right? But thank you :)