Sunrise | Teen Ink

Sunrise

By gabrielleowen BRONZE, Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
gabrielleowen BRONZE, Detroit Lakes, Minnesota

"if you live like there is no tomorrow, there won't be one." kurt vonnegut

Tomorrow it will have been one year since Mom passed away after being in a car accident. I was forced to grow up fast because Daddy needed me to. Chronologically I am thirteen years old, mentally I am eighteen.
Daddy and I live in North Carolina right on the beach. It is the only home I’ve ever known. Every morning Daddy and I wake up real early to watch the sunrise. It’s become our daily routine since Mom died. Daddy told me that if we stand in the water and wait for the sun we might be able to see her again, so from that day on that’s what we do. Over the months I believe that less and less, but Daddy has never lost hope.
Today is the day and I couldn’t sleep last night. I laid awake listening to Daddy cry in his room. I miss her too but I have to be strong for him so I quietly let the tears fall.

When it was time to go to the water I got ready and went to make sure Daddy was ready. When we opened the door we were both struck by the light from the sun, it was rising faster than usual. The ocean turned colors as I looked farther out. First a faded yellow color then a light blue and then to a dark blue. The sky was a beautiful shade of orange.
We tip toed into the chilly water and watched. Buddy, our golden retriever, was running around at first but he knew when to sit still. He came right up to Daddy’s side and sat patiently. Suddenly a gust of wind blew past me and I had a feeling that I needed to turn around so I did, as did Daddy.
Then we saw her, sitting on the front porch on her favorite chair, smiling and waving at us as if she was still alive. I smiled and waved to her fighting the urge to run to her. I closed my eyes and imagined my mother’s embrace.
Another gust of wind blew, this time towards the water. With tears in my eyes I gently grabbed Daddy’s hand and we turned around and just stared into the horizon knowing she will always be with us.

truly amazing with a tocuh of beauty.