Mr. White Shirt

I could sense it. He was looking at me. I slowly turned my head towards the mirror by a quarter of a degree to make sure, but was interrupted by the lady who brought us our appetizers. I quickly looked straight the table mat and tried to focus my attention on what was written on it. "Try out our new summer coolers, the strawberry shake and the mango tango!" The pictures of the drinks looked really good, maybe i should try the mango tan- Is he still looking at me?! I became very aware that my shirt was a little body-fitting. I shifted in my seat, incredibly uneasy. My best friend Cathy saw my face, and asked me "What's up Karen?" I shook my head and gave a small smile to signal nothing. Youre being ridiculous, i said to myself. But i still tried to check using the corner of my eye.

He wore a white shirt. Yes, he was the guy who walked in just after we did. I had seen him because he walked in as my friends tried to decide where to sit. He sat at a table from he could clearly see me, and i could see his reflection through the mirror in front of our table. He had a beard and wore a cap, and held something in his hand, maybe a recorder or something. OMG. It was like one of the TV shows. His face wasn't moving, just staring straight at me. I tried to calm myself down, and not care. It didn't help that my friends were talking about some girl who had been stalked by this very creepy guy, and the guy had followed her everywhere all the way back to her house, and she need to get a restraining order against him. I looked again at the guy. The waitress was adding sugar to his coffee or tea or whatever he was drinking. Okay, was this guy stalking me? We had been to a few shops before this, was he there too?

I tried to eat the fried calamari, but it felt like rubber in my mouth. I swallowed it anyway, and choked on it. I drank a bit of water, which I almost spilled as my hands were trembling a little bit. Tiny beads of perspiration trickled down my back. Meanwhile, the others had jumped from the stalker story to the latest gossip about Brangelina. Only Cathy looked back at me, and asked me again if I was alright. I couldn't take it anymore. I quickly whispered to her, "The guy in the white shirt, he's been staring at me since we came in!" She quickly looked at the guy and said, " You're just paranoid! Don't let Sheila's story get to you!". Then she stuffed another fried calamari into her mouth. I looked at the mirror again. Okay, this guy was obviously staring at me. Maybe he knows me and is trying to remember where he recognizes me from. I searched my memory, trying to remember his face. But no, I definitely hadn't seen him before.

By this time, even Cathy understood that Mr. white shirt was staring at me continously. She quickly nudged Pauline, who sat next to her, and told her. This process continued till everyone at the table knew. Thing was, we couldn't do much as our main course was yet to come. Then I said rather loudly that I was going to call a waitress and report this creepy fellow. After that, he called a waitress. She asked him, "Do you need help goin' back home Joe?" He chuckled, and said "Its okay. But yeah, give my apologies to the girls at the next table. I didn't realise that I was staring at them." The waitress looked puzzled, as did we, and then he continued, "And don't worry, I'll walk back home alright. I din't forget my stick today." And then my supposed stalker freed his folding white cane, and slowly headed out of the restaurant.

Cathy/Pauline said...
May 17, 2011 at 8:35 am:

Gave me the creeps. felt like this a million times. :P ofcourse minus the end. But God knows, I could've never narrated it like you did. :D 

But seriously, Cathy/Pauline, try something better next time.

God has given you the talent, girl. Don't limit yourself to this site only. :)

ImJustMe94 replied...
May 17, 2011 at 9:30 am :

Try something else ? As in ?
And thank you ! :)

HorseLover replied...
May 19, 2011 at 6:25 am :
I don't know how old you are (some magazines only accept submissions from kids that are certain ages), but try looking into Stone Soup, Creative Kids, New Moon Girls, Cricket, Cicada, Teen Voices, Skipping Stones, or the Claremont Review.

SayWhat?!?! replied...
May 20, 2011 at 3:52 am :

LOL, I meant new names child.
Cathy/Pauline too cliche. 

:)

ImJustMe94 replied...
May 21, 2011 at 3:10 am :
HorseLover - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those sites out :)

SayWhat?!?! - Hahaha, THAT way :P

DreamingOutLoud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 11:01 am:
You're good.=) Keep writing.

ImJustMe94 replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 3:04 pm :
Thankyou ! =)

ImJustMeToo94 said...

Amazing story! Keep it up! =]

Loved it! =D Made me read it till the very end!

ImJustMe94 replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm :
thankyou ! =D