Echoes

High on the side of a great red stone canyon, as the sun climbed ever loftier in the robin egg-blue sky, a teen-age girl stood.
The wind played her shining-gold hair about her face, tendrils slid across her nose and mouth, small strands sticking to her recently chap-sticked lips. Her pastel colored skirt swirled around her legs as a few birds rode upon the summer time breeze. She seemed as if she were waiting for something; a certain time, or an appointed signal.
The girl waited for an occasion, standing still as a rose, only until the sun reached its climax in the heavens. She cupped her delicate hands around her pink mouth.
“Starboy! Where are you!” she cried into the still and sunlit canyon. Echoes played off the rosy-orange rocks, undulating back and forth, and becoming increasingly quieter.
The girl began to turn as the echoes slowly died away; her shoulders bent in defeat and betrayed hope.
As she took her first step away from the fissure, fine red dust rising from the ground underneath her bare feet, a whisper, barely audible, light and tender as a white feather, reached her curved ear.
“…here I am…”

LadyJaneGrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 7:27 am
Wonderful descriptions. You gave the piece a very ethereal feel, which worked. Great job and keep writing!

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:39 am
Le Hannon :)

Aderes18 said...
Why did you call the story Echoes?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Because of the echoes that bounce off the stone walls, I guess.

Aderes18 replied...
Oh, I see. Cool! :) 

Aderes18 said...

AWW

That just seems very cute. :)

Why did you call him starboy?

Is this girl supposed to represent you? So when you mean by looking for your starboy, you mean by looking for your soulmate? you would seriously call your soulmate starboy? I find that kind-of funny. It's a funny, cute petname. :) 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Uhhhh, yes? I think. The girl kinda does represent me, and yeah, I would call my soulmate starboy :}

Thanks :)

timeformetofly7 said...
LLLOOOVEE THIS!!!!!!!!! ^^ you have great amazing word choice!!! the descriptions were awesomee

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Thank you so much! I'm thrilled that you like it :D

A_shy_dove said...
Nov. 22, 2010 at 8:52 am
A great way of description!!! i enjoyed it thoroughly. I am glad to have read such a work.. 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Thankee kindly, dear dove :)

It has taken me ages to develope my sense of imagery, it was once one of my weaker spots.

Your praise is thouroughly appreciated :)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
In short, this is a beautiful work of fiction. I immensely enjoyed reading the colorful words. The ending is a very creative way to finish an already wonderful piece. Well done, Ms. Stargirl; and I'm sure you will find your celestial companion.

IamtheStargirl replied...

Thank you so much :)

Your words are kind.

fragileblackorchid said...
this is great 5 starz please check out some of my work

IamtheStargirl replied...

Thanks :)

And I would be glad to :)

Hippiechick10 said...
Really a gorgeous piece of work! 

IamtheStargirl replied...
Thank you so much!! :)

Ataritron said...
This is beautiful!  I can't think of anything to add.  Thank you for bringing hope to my day.

IamtheStargirl replied...
Thank you so much! It really means a lot to me that you enjoyed it.