Landslide

It’s been a month since my father’s funeral. He died climbing Mount Everest, when a landslide buried him alive. A lot of people call him stupid for wanting to do something so dangerous, but he wasn’t stupid at all. He wasn’t just your typical adventure guy whose dream was to look down from the top of the highest mountain in the world. He was smart, funny, and carefree. I don’t know how he thought he would make it off that mountain alive, but he convinced all of us he would. That’s why we were all so shocked when he didn’t.

“Do you want to go to the movies with me tonight?” my step mom, Allison, asked. She was my best friend; she never acted like a mom. She was only ten years older than me, anyways. We were complete opposites; I was quiet and thoughtful and she was wild and energetic. She always said that we completed each other. In a way we did, but in a way we were completely lost without my dad.

“No, that’s okay. I’m kind of tired. I think I’ll just go to bed early tonight.”

Allison sighed heavily. “Cara,” she said softly. “It’s been a month. I know it’s hard, but we’ve got to move on. When he first died, I was completely hopeless. I know you remember. I didn’t know what love was anymore. But I realized that I’ve got to move on. It still hurts, but I’m okay.” She said.

I nodded, my eyes on the floor, and walked to my room. I was never one to show my emotions. I sat on my bed, careful not to mess up the blankets.

What is love? I thought. Was it even real? Or was it just idea that people convinced themselves they were sure of? Allison had really confused me this time. I’m too young to handle this, I thought. I shook my head quickly. I was 19 years old! An adult with a child’s broken heart. Could I rise above all the pain of losing my father, and still be okay, like Allison? Could I laugh and smile and go to movies? After a few minutes of pondering, I decided I could. I rose from my bed slowly and unsurely. I walked into the kitchen where Allison was still sitting.

“I think I changed my mind about the movie.” I said, and Allison smiled.

Dance4God77 said...
That's pretty cool. You're pretty cool.

JennaBeaSwimma replied...
;))))))))))))))))

CallMeFelix said...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 9:30 am

There's something about this that just makes me love it...I'm not entirely sure what it is, but I love it anyway! Great Job!

If you have the chance, would you mind checking out some of my work? Thanks =) Keep Writing!

JennaBeaSwimma replied...
thanks! I'll go look at some right now, and keep looking at mine! I love comments haha