The Successful Burger Bar Employee | Teen Ink

The Successful Burger Bar Employee

By Pirinja BRONZE, North Haven, Connecticut
Pirinja BRONZE, North Haven, Connecticut

The 12 inch black apron, 3.5 inch brimmed hat and regulation ponytail bearing the name tag 'Mary Gray' went through the steps of The Successful Burger Bar Employee Manual in her mind.

1. Smile brightly at the customer. She approached the family sitting at table A2 and smiled brightly.

2. Ask in a cheerful voice, 'What would you like to order this _______(morning/afternoon/evening)?'

'What would you like to order this _______(morning/afternoon/evening?' She asked in a cheerful voice. Around her, a 30 ft by 45 ft room of 12 inch black aprons, 3.5 inch brimmed hats, and regulation ponytails were looping the steps endlessly at their respective service stations.

It is a requirement for all employees of the Burger Bar to to read The Successful Burger Bar Employee Manual for the Manual cleanly slices each job down to a series of motions that are designed to maximize efficiency and minimize cost of operation. Once the new employee has integrated the Manual into his/her being, has replaced his/her natural impulses with chips and bytes of information from the Manual, he/she is ready for operation.

Sometimes however, the 12 inch black apron, 3.5 inch brimmed hat and regulation ponytail bearing the name tag 'Mary Gray' malfunctions, and does things that aren't stated in the Manual.

For example, the Manual never told her to create her own recipe for The Double Cheeseburger and serve it to customers. It also never told her to create artwork on the napkins, or to make a replica of Times Square out of ketchup packets, or to stay after long after The Burger Bar closes and tuck the phrase 'Mary was here' in safe, warm corners under the chairs and between the walls.

The 12 inch black apron, 3.5 brimmed hat and regulation ponytail bearing the name tag 'Mary Gray' malfunctions so that Mary Gray can exist.