Before

Today was yet again the day.
Whispers could be heard in the halls as I walk my lonely road. They are looking upon me with judgmental eyes and hatered. What I have done to them, I don't know.
They jeer and yell at me, calling me names and wishing me dead. I fight the urge to close my eyes and run, I fight the urge to stop walking.
"Going to another guys house again 'eh Ann?" A familiar voice called out. Ivan.
I attempt to ignore him, quickening my pace. I wont be drawn in that easily. Not again.
"Is it going to be your place or his this time?" He calls again to me, and I don't answer. My only responce is another step out of this hell hole.

It seemed to take an eternity, to walk from my class to the front door, out to freedome. It feels like forever. I turn down a familiar wooded path, and let the tears flow. Today was the day when I permitted myself to let it out, to break my unwaivering mask. Endless tears seem to run down my cheeks. The hurt was unbearable, but I held it in until the grave was in sight.

Mary and Jeff Bathson.
Loving mother and father.

Throwing myself onto my knees before the grave, I curl up into a ball, and howl with anguish.

---

I had followed her after she left, waiting a few minutes before leaving. She didn't seem to notice. When the trail we were on led to a cemetary, goose bumps ran down my arms. What was she? A witch? Was she going to raise dead, or start a ritual? I knew she was bad.. but this is a whole new level. Thoughts flow endlessly, looking at every possibility, everyone but the right one, I realized, as soon as she dropped before a grave.
No way...

abbylou99 said...
you should totally coninue!

HBCdance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
YES! You should comtinue!

starxoxo23 said...

I love the idea of this story, and it's clear that you're really good at imagery. =) But there are a lot of spelling & grammar mistakes that kinda detract from the actual story... and like Day-Dreamer17 said, it's confusing to the reader when the story suddenly switches from past tense to present tense in the middle of paragraphs.

I definitely think you should continue with this! It's a great idea and could develop into an amazing story. (: Hope I helped.

Day-Dreamer17 said...

Okeedoke. First of all, I like the idea. :) It's a little vague what the purpose is, but if you wrote more  I think it would become clearer. There are some grammar trip-ups that you could fix, but those aren't as important in my book. You've got to watch the tenses, though. Sometimes it's in present, sometimes in past.

What really confused me is who's following her? Is it a guy or a girl? The whole thing's a little vague.

Keep writing, 'cause you probably have more than one... (more »)

Stormythrone replied...
Thank you :) I will

kao-chanu said...
it was good, better than some of your other work i have read. :) you def are a talented writer. Please continue, but make sure you edit it well, there were mistakes.

Annalibelle said...

Hey, it’s Annali from Actually Helpful Critique.

The archaic voice was very interesting, but it was inconsistent. If your narrator is going to sound old fashioned/ formal, then she has to sound that way all the time. Ex.“ They are looking upon me with judgmental eyes and hatred. What I have done to them, I don't know.” If you mix using contractions and not using contractions, then you are going to sound stilted and awkward.

The piece doesn&... (more »)

Emmaline said...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 11:03 am
you should defanently continue posting! this would make a very good story!

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
At first I was kind of like "Huh?" Then I kept reading and it turned into "Holy crud this is awesome!" and then it was "Aww, it's done?"  Definitely continue!  

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Now that I got that out of my system....

The good:  The emotions are good.  You don't make them frilly and pink - you leave them raw and it serves your purpose well.  I love the other perspective.  Adds to the mystery. :)

The bad: It is a little confusing.  Today was what day?  You could use a little more detail.

The random:  Definitely continue!

Keep writing! ~AsIAm

thepreechyteenager said...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 11:19 am

I also liked this.

This was a great prologue I think, becasue you showed two aspects of Ann- her apparent problem with boys, and her unfortunate dead partents.  You should definately continue.  I think this could be a deep story, one where the main character not only has one deep problem, but two.  I think you could do wel wit this, please continue.

I also loved how you had that other character follow her into the graveyard.  It was good to get another POV, t... (more »)

Stormythrone replied...
Thank you :)
 I will continue it, but I cannot promise when. Inspiration is a hard thing to find here. Hope you enjoy it when I continue! And ill check out yours soon :)

i_am_nobody said...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:17 am
CONTINUE CONTINUE CONTINUE!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!

Stormythrone replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 3:02 am
o.o oh wow, you liked it that much?

i_am_nobody replied...
Aug. 25, 2010 at 8:00 am
yes. i thought it was really good. you packed a lot into such a little essay or watever it is. and the cliffhanger at the end really bugs me cuz i wanna kno how it ends!

Stormythrone replied...
Thanks so much :)

Alexia_Grey replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 12:33 am
Yeah .. i recen u shoudn't of stopped it where you did... i wouldve made him stay there then he goes up to her and they talk.. but yeah GREAT STORY PLEASEPLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CONTINUE!!!!!!!