Fairy Tales From a Nerd, Chapter 1

By , Wake Forest, NC
Once upon a time, on the first day of earth science of her freshman year, they were talking about the branches of science.
The Princess was not the best at dodgeball and certainly not the greatest in beauty. But she had always loved school and loved learning. She could go on and on for hours about the Theory of Continental Drift and Tectonic plates. She dreamed and dreamed of be coming a famous scientist, while the others went on about American Idol and vowed that they would become actors and actresses. She used to be idolized by her teachers and her classmates for her brilliance--when there was no such thing as being cool. Now, she was placed in the back corner of the room, out of sight. She was inclined to silence. Her lips were tighter than a fastened zipper and she kept her head low, wishing that, one day, she would be in the front of the class, where she'd shine once again.
In Earth Science, she did not have that chance.
"Can anyone tell me the name of the science that deals with life and organisms?" The gracious teacher waved towards the Duchess that was diagonal of her.
"Ugh..." She groaned, filing her nails and flipping her golden hair back.
"Biology?" The little Princess guessed.
"Correct! The next science deals with chemicals and their reactions..."
"Chemistry." The meek Princess said again.
She nodded her head. "What is the science that deals with things such as pulleys--?"
"Physics!" She had returned to the limelight. She was ready to endure compliments from her fellow classmates, who'd clap and cheer her on--
"Who said that?" A Prince asked the room. He anxiously searched for the maiden that answered that question.
The Princess was afraid.
"NERRRRD." Someone else shouted...
The Princess frowned and shied into her seat...

EmseaHailey said...
it is not lame- it may seem that way but the captain of the football team at my dad's school now works at mcdonalds and can't keep a job or a wife and my dad (aka, the nerd) is happily married and has a good job and all that good stuff- that doesn't sound very lame to me.

ArleneNicole said...
You have me very intrigued, and I look forward to the next entry! I think it's a cute idea for a fairytale to occur in a science classroom. And yes, I think it is cool to be smart, nerds rock!

alwayskelley This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 21, 2010 at 10:53 am
i dont know where you go to school but where i go its cool to be smart, as long as you dont do things like blow off everyone for school.