The Beauty on This Cruel, Cold, Hard Earth

Beauty. What does anyone know about it? “Darling, you look lovely.” “My little boy has grown so handsome.” “The sunset is simply gorgeous.” “That view is breathtaking.” Well, there is something to be told. Those are the words of the clueless. Ah if only they knew.

The “sweet lady”. Well, little does he know what she does every day. He leaves, believing he has seen an angel. She… well, she just does what she does best. She entices her anger, embraces it, wields it as she hurls her poisoned daggers. Daggers that she, herself had so carefully poisoned. Bitter words. Thundering accusations. Erasing happiness from the eyes of those who had given all to her. Vicious demands. Screaming maledictions. Hacking away at their lives, turning pride to misery, mahogany locks to those of listless grey. How lovely, would you not agree?

Oh, the handsome young lad. Pity, pity I send to the naïve father whose years have not brought wisdom. If only he knew. If only he knew his intelligent, polite son. But little does he know, when he closes his eyes, too pleased to leave them open, his gentleman stomps out budding life. He closes his eyes, believing that he is the parent of a benevolent young lord. The handsome lad… he hunts. No, he does not kill. He only mutilates. How could he kill a soul? No, he only leaves them bleeding. No, he only takes away their limbs. No, he only shreds the fur, plucks the feathers, a charming smile on his face. Gleaming eyes portray his enjoyment. Look now, his baby cousin. He takes him for a walk… some alone time. Smiles his charming smile, “Look baby, pretty blade, how it sparkles…” Handsome lord, inside and out. Kind soul, kind heart.

The sunset, the gorgeous, gorgeous sunset. It is beautiful, but… never mind. Never mind it sets on injustice. What does it matter, to those fanatics, the suffering of tortured hostages, cold-hearted, prospering killers? They see the sunset that is of a distinguished beauty, it sets over families, families of panic-stricken beings, waiting, waiting for the siren to mark the bombing of their home, waiting for news of their own, of wrecked body and soul. Real beauty, is it not? The setting sun that brings more pain and no relief.

Breathtaking view. Peaceful, pleasant to the eye, surely this is beauty. Oh, yes… no, but, never mind. Never mind that years before, death reigned here. Of course, it was ‘beautiful’. Stiff piles. Stiff piles of those who moved and talked, and lived and loved. Nay, hardly corpses, naked skeletons. Those who saw, and felt that which should have never been. Round-bellied children, faint with hunger, nothing more than scared, hollow creatures. Shouts of “Heil Hitler,” laughter and smiles as the hunted dropped motionless, as old and young lost everything in chambers where poison pellets rained down, as smoke raced out of the chimneys, seeking final rest in the sky, as limp skin and bones fell down, embracing the frigid ground. This is ‘beautiful’, is it not, 11… million, such a ‘lovely’ number… of those who will never pick out beauty on this cruel, cold, hard earth.

ChocoMint said...
It was confusing. I couldn't understand it, and I couldn't get what you were exactly trying to portray. I know it was cruel beauty, the realistic side to it, but I just didn't feel that when I was reading. My advice would be to stick to one character and develop the beauty you want there.  <><

miracle_of_hope said...
wow, shows what hides beneath..... kinda scary

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:25 am
Yep, beauty can hide what's rotten on the inside. Sorry if I freaked you out too much with the story, though.

miracle_of_hope replied...
nah not at all, just fear was there but it doesnt regester with me anymore

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:38 am
,okay, :-)

claudiathewho This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Whoosh—that intro pulled me right in: "Beauty. What does anyone know about it?" I felt like I would hit the ground running from then, but the pace slowed down a bit as I struggled to get a grip on the meaning of the story. After a second read, I understood it more clearly. This story sheds a light on the often dark face of reality. Flowery language, but again, carefully crafted.

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:21 am
Thank you, after reading your comment, I realized that I could write a short story begining with the same lines... perhaps about a psychopath, that would be fun...thanks for the inspiration... I guess I meant this to be less of a "story" and more of a gathering of thoughts on the subject.

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
another one of ur beautiful stories. I am lost for words. . . again lol! Onchor! Onchor!!! :)(:

Blue4 replied...
thank you so much for your kind words!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 13, 2011 at 11:45 am
ur so very welcome! :)(:

julietmonroee5683 said...
This is beautiful writing!

Blue4 replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 10:22 am
Thanks to all who commented!

krarthurs said...
I loved this because of how dark it was. The truth is so powerful and I loved every thing about it. Excellent job.

Aelita said...
Wow, that was very dark.  Not exactly my cup of tea... but it was pretty well-written.

mudpuppy said...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 9:13 am
This piece is so bone-chiling yet true. This world is a place of shallowness when it comes to appearences; and it also can be a place of wickness mask by vainty and igronence. :)

Blue4 replied...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 11:38 am
Thanks for your comment!

mudpuppy replied...
You welcome. It was my pleasure to read it. :)

Whylime said...
Oh, this is lovely. But without the irony that "lovely" means in the story. (: I really love this. Would you mind reading "my present, but please not my future"? i'd really appreciate it!

Blue4 replied...
Thank you very much, I'll read your story.

pandafyre This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I disagree that the wording is confusing. It makes sense once you get a feel for your writing style, which I love. It's definitely unique. Next time you can try adding a specific scene, possibly with dialogue if it feels right. Other than that, I enjoy your perspective on beauty and it's something everyone should take into account.