Emily. | Teen Ink

Emily.

By MusicSyndrome21 BRONZE, South Bend, Indiana
MusicSyndrome21 BRONZE, South Bend, Indiana

"We dance for laughter, we dance for tears, we dance for madness, we dance for fears, we dance for hopes, we dance for screams, we are the dancers, we create the dreams." - Anonymous

Cut my life into pieces. This is my last resort.

Music pounded through the earphones as Damen walked through the empty school hallway. He nodded his head a little bit, looking down at the ground. It had been a long day at school, and he was tired. His guitar case in his right hand felt heavy, a constant reminder of the days work. His hands ached from the two hours of guitar lessons he took after school. Although Damon was glad he finished his song and got to practice his cover of Panic! At The Disco's “New Perspective”, both he would preform in front of his class for a grade next week, he still wished the days weren't so long.

Damon, his iPod at full volume, his eyes at his feet, wasn't paying attention, causing him to run right into something. Or rather, someone. They both fell to the ground, their things flying everywhere. Damon looked up to see who he ran into, and saw a blonde boy rubbing his head, trying to gather his things.

“Ow,” the boy moaned. Damen pulled out his earphones as the boy looked up. The boy hasd an apologetic look on his face.

“I am so sorry! I wasn't watching and-” He babbled. Damen cut him off with a small smile.

“Don't sweat it, man. It's okay, I wasn't paying attention either.” He assured the boy. He climbed to his feet, brushing his jeans off. Damen reached out his hand, silently offering to help the boy up. The boy took it, and Damen quickly pulled him up. The boy brushed himself off, but then looked back up at Damen.

“Hey, I'm Allister.” He said, sticking out his hand. Damen took it, smiling.

“Damon.”

“Yeah, I know,” Allister said. Damen laughed a little bit.

“Yeah, I guess I deserved that. Well, see you around, Allister,” Damen said, pushing past Allister. He continued his way to the parking lot, not bothering to plug his earphone back into his ears. As he passed the auditorium, he heard someone singing.

“Dark blue, dark blue. Have you every been alone in a crowded room. Well, I'm here with you. I said the world could be burning, burning down.”

He stopped and turned to look through the doors of the open auditorium. On the stage there was a girl. She was dressed in black skinnies and a red tank top. Her feet were bare, but Damen could see black, worn out, low top Converse set off to the side of the stage, next to her black messenger bag. Her hands, which griped the microphone and it's stand, were covered with black, fingerless gloves. Her eyes were closed, concentrating on the song.

Damon looked around. No one seemed to be watching. He sneaked quietly in, choosing a chiar in the corner where he wouldn't be seen. He sat down, watching the girl's every move.

“This flood, this flood is slowly rising up, swallowing the ground beneath my feet. Tell me how anyone can think under this condition”

Damon leaned forward, captivated by the girl's beautiful voice. Her voice held so much emotion, so much feeling. He couldn't believe how into the song one girl could get. The girl finished out the song, a grin on her face.

“If you've ever been alone, you'd know. Dark blue. If you've ever been alone, you'd know. You'd know.”

The girl took a deep breath and opened her eyes, taking her hands off the microphone to shove in her back pocket. That's when Damon saw the two men sitting in the front row. The two men seem analyzing her, and mentally, her performance. They looked at each other and smiled.

“Great job, Emily. We're sure you'll get in in a couple weeks time.” The taller of the two said, standing up. Emily smiled.

“Are you sure? I mean I don't know if I'm good enough.” She said, worry in her voice.

“I'm positive. Trust me, you'll get in.” The man said, “We'll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah. See you guys tomorrow.”

The men packed up their things and headed out of the auditorium, not even glancing to look at Damon. Damon listen closely to what they were saying.

“Julliard would be lucky to have her. She would definitely excel there.” The taller of the two said. The other man quickly agreed, saying that Emily would definitely get in. They left, and Damon watched Emily start packing up her things. He quickly slipped out the door and walked quickly down the hallway. The grogginess was gone, replaced by astonishment. He pushed through the school's front doors, looking for his brother's black Mercedes. He ran toward it, trying to read his brother's face.

Damon pulled open the door, cringing as his brother started in on him.

“Really, Damon? When I tell you to be out here at four thirty, I expect you to be here at four thirty!”

Damon just nodded, “Sorry. I got a little side tracked.”

**

This went on for a couple weeks. Damon would go to guitar lessons, walk to the auditorium, watch Emily preform, then walk home. Yes, Damon had to walk home since his brother refused to pick him up anymore. Damon got home later now, to his brother's amusement.

Emily would sing anything from New Found Glory's “Head On Collision” to Automatic Loveletter's “Hush”. Damon would sit in astonishment, like always. Finally , after two weeks of watching, Damon finally got up the nerve to talk to Emily.

“Uh, hey. I'm Damon,” he said while Emily was on her way out. She smiled.

“Emily. Nice to meet you.”

“I heard you singing. It was amazing,” he said, grinning. Emily sighed.

“Thanks.”

Damon furrowed his eyebrows, “Whats wrong?”

“Nothing, nothing. Uh, I have to go. See you around, Damon.”

“Bye.”

Emily and Damon became great friends. They kept talking, almost on a daily basis. Damon found out he had three classes with Emily, he just never noticed. Emily kept asking if he would show up at her performance,and Damon always agreed. Emily came over to Damon's house, so often Damon's mother expected her there every day after school. They were inseparable.

It was no secret Damon loved Emily. More then just friend love. Lover love. He could tell Emily knew, but she never said anything. He felt lost if she was absent even for one day. They went to parties together, to bonfires, to the movies, never once going out on a date. Damon felt as if he couldn't live without her.

Then one day, Damon came to school and as soon as he walked into homeroom, all eyes were on him. As he walked by, the whispering began.

Does he know?

I can't believe she would do that to him.

I wonder how he's taking it.

Damon's confusion grew. Who were they talking about? Ashley, the sweetest girl in the school, approached him.

“Hey, Damon.”

Damon smiled, “Hey, Ashley. What's up?”

She furrowed her eyebrows, “You don't know?”

“Know what?”

“Oh, Damon. I had no idea. I really hate to be the one telling you this.”

“What happened?”

“Um, uh, Emily, er, moved away. She got accepted to Julliard and moved.”

Damon froze. She was gone? That couldn't be true. It just couldn't be. Damon shot up from his seat and walked briskly out the door and to his locker, remembering something about a note that was in Emily's handwriting. Sure enough, when he opened his locker, there was the note.

Dear Damon,

I'm sorry, I truly am. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I've been accepted to Julliard. I wanted to say goodbye, but I couldn't I hope you can forgive me.

I love you.

Sincerely,

Em”

Tears filled his eyes. He slammed his locker shut and and ran. Ran down the stairs, out of the school and down the street. He ran until he was exhausted and had no idea where he was. He crumpled to the ground, tears falling down his cheeks.

She's gone