Mirrors | Teen Ink

Mirrors

By soccerchic BRONZE, Orillia, Other
soccerchic BRONZE, Orillia, Other

All girls have fears. Some fear spiders. Some fear teachers. Most fear pimples, split-ends and what-not-to wear outfits. But us girls, we're different. We fear things like scales. And tape measures. And food. But our biggest fear is mirrors. Mirrors hurt us. When we stand in front of them, they talk at us. They tell us how fat, ugly, and disgusting we are. Mirrors make us cry. They make us eat so little or so much that we eventually can't eat normally. I have a mirror in my room. It sits on my wall, staring at me and criticizing me all day. Sometimes I stand in front of my mirror. I see me, the fat me, staring back. Then the mirror starts talking. You're disgusting, Lily, look at all that fat. Have you seen your thunder thighs? You need to lose some weight. I cry, as I listen to the mirror, because I know I will never be thin enough to be good enough. I'll never be able to make my mom proud. I'll never be good enough to have a boyfriend. And I'll never be good enough to have a real friend. The tears are falling down my face now, soaking my shirt. Before I turn away, I look at myself in the mirror again. I look it right in the eye, and think. Someday, I will make my mom proud. Someday, I will have a boyfriend. Someday, I will have a true friend who loves me. Someday, I will eat again. But then the mirror starts talking again, telling me how disgusting and gross and overweight I am. Maybe I won't ever make my mom proud. Maybe I'll never be able to eat again. Because, of course, it would have to be in a world without mirrors.

This is a fictional writing piece about a girl who suffers from Anorexia.

friend-less said...
on Aug. 17 2010 at 10:18 am
friend-less, Natick, Massachusetts

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

this is pretty good. nice job.

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you Lord, for this future you've given me.

I agree with kfelt158! Awesome. :D

Please take a look at some of my work if you have time.? :)

kfelt158 SILVER, New Era, Michigan

"A dream will only be a dream until you work hard to make it a reality."

Wow i really liked this!  I think it would be cool if you added on more to it, something like a sequel, you know? but good job, i loved the description.