Close Enough. | Teen Ink

Close Enough.

June 24, 2010
By givemetherapy SILVER, Mount Vernon, Ohio
givemetherapy SILVER, Mount Vernon, Ohio
9 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hope is what you cling to when reality has left you with nothing else."


I stare at him from across the room. His deep blue eyes. His light brown hair. His perfect nose and perfect smile.
He's laying on the couch, and I'm sitting in the recliner. We're wathching a movie together, live we've done every Saturday since grade school. I've always kept my distance because of the feelings that I could never do away with.
"Come sit with me." he says, and motions me over the couch where he lays. I brace myself and pad across the room, telling myself that it isn't what I want it to be, and that it never will be. He lifts himself up to allow me room to sit, then lays back down and rests his head on my thigh.
He tilts his head up and looks at me for a long time, staring intently with his deep blue eyes. He smiles. "You're my best friend. Did you know that?"
I smile half-heartedly. "I know."
And even though it isn't quite what I wanted to hear, I know that what I want will never happen. So for now, it's just going to have to be close enough.