Annie's Nightmare | Teen Ink

Annie's Nightmare MAG

By Cherrybomb BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina
Cherrybomb BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina

\"If life gives you lemons throw them back and demand chocolate.\"

I gnawed at my nail. Right hand, pinky finger. The red polish was flaking as I walked down the hallway. The tip of my finger was raw.

I had a whole myriad of destructive nervous habits that had been set into play over the last week. The ends of my hair were split and brittle from where I'd tugged at them constantly. My eyes were red as much from crying as from rubbing them to try to stay awake each night, and my bottom lip was a thick line of swollen cuts where I'd bitten it. I used to be a pretty girl. Not anymore.

The white walls on either side of me reminded me of congealed milk; stable, but only if you left them alone. No pounding or kicking or slamming unless you wanted the first layer of gel to break and all the people behind it to come rushing out in a sour tide. I stayed in the middle of the hallway.

My mother walked on my left, clean cut, sharply angled, and in control. Her short blond hair was the only soft thing about her, and even that could be dismissed when you looked at her eyes, which seemed black they were so cold. I didn't want her here, had made it clear through loud protestations and long silences that I didn't need her anywhere near my boyfriend. She had argued back, regurgitating nonsense about family support and emotional instability, and since she paid for my schooling and owned the car, the only natural conclusion to our disagreement was her victory.

On my other side was a nurse. She was jerky and quick, constantly speeding ahead only to slow down to wait impatiently for us to catch up. She carried a clipboard and an unconcerned expression, and I tried not to be angry at her lack of distress while I chewed my fingernail.

The hallway was long, longer than I'd remembered it being yesterday. It'd been doing that all week, purposely giving me more time to walk and think, walk and think, walk and think. Thinking. It wasn't what I wanted to do, not because there ­wasn't plenty of important stuff to mull over, but because my sleep-­deprived and fearful mind kept jumping back to one topic, like a yo-yo being slung at the floor, only to be reeled back up by that damn string.

Nikkel. The name set off a series of attacks from an internal army currently turned against me. Bile rose in my throat and nausea forced my stomach into back-flips. Without thinking, I clenched my teeth against my pinky. Hard. There was a muffled snap as my fingernail cracked, and I pulled it out, whimpering and cursing at the fissure running down my nail. My mother shot a sharp glance in my direction – she never looked me in the eye – and then gestured slightly at the nurse, who was looking at me with shock painted on her face in a professional, falsely concerned mask. I was aghast at the possible interpretations of my mother's expression, which ranged from “Stop making a scene” to “What are people going to think?” It wondered and horrified me that she could find space in her conscience for such shallow thoughts when we were making our way through the hospital toward the Intensive Care Unit.

More walking ensued, with me sucking dejectedly on my bleeding finger and my mother speeding ahead to keep pace with the nurse, no doubt disgusted by the tears running down my face into my mouth.

The doors to the ICU were heavy, metal, and automatic. My mother and the nurse strode through them without waiting for me. I hung back, a little apprehensive of the thick, mechanical barriers. I was sure that if I tried passing through them they'd snap shut and crush me like a bug. I could practically hear bones snapping. The insanity of this notion did nothing to temper the intimidation it held.

“Hurry up, Annie.” My mother had turned to stare at me, fisted hands digging into either hip. Her eyes glinted. Blue, I reminded myself. Blue, not black at all.

I wiggled my toes and willed my feet into motion, letting them drag on the smooth linoleum as I slipped easily into the ICU and past my mother, who stiffened as I pushed ahead of the nurse.

I was looking for Room 173. Despite being here constantly during the last seven days, I still had only a vague idea where it was. The sharp click of high heels behind me prompted me into a sharp left turn, hoping to lose my mother in the rolls of sickness and death that crawled in this hallway.

On either side, stuffy hospital rooms with glass walls and clicking, blinking equipment groaned and creaked. I dared look into a few rooms, only to quicken my pace, the sick feeling in my stomach swelling into an ulcer. Fighting back panic, I swung around another corner, cursing the identical corridors, each with their own set of scuttling nurses.

Cracks like the one in my pinky ran through the linoleum, and I broke into a run, not even bothering to look at the numbers on the doors as I silently concluded that today was really not a good day to visit him after all. I gasped as I skidded around yet another bend and slammed headlong into my mother, who took the impact with grace before eagerly detaching herself from me.

“You're going the wrong way,” she grabbed my hand and tugged me back the way I'd come, purposely not facing me so she wouldn't have to acknowledge my near-hysterics.

I had been stupid to think that I had lost her in the hospital. While I was busy banging down hallways she had found Room 173, then retrieved me like some misplaced object.

The walk toward Nikkel was far shorter than I had expected; the hallway had stopped playing its games. When we reached 173, my mother leaned against the opposite wall (the most privacy she was willing to give me) while I peered through the window at the hospital bed, the white sheets that smelled like chemicals, the tubes and the clear liquids and the stink of urine and sadness.

My boyfriend was curled on his side, his knees pulled up to his chest like a baby or a frightened child. IVs snaked from his arms like uprooted veins, and tubes in his nose fed a thick substance down his throat. I pressed my nose against the glass, distractedly noting how ridiculous I must look to any bystanders on the other side.

It was clear from the many nurses keeping close watch from secretive posts along the hallway, from Nickkel's father's head slumped in his hands at the foot of the bed, from my mother's stifling and incessant proximity, and from the unrelenting taste of vomit under my tongue, that he was going to die.

G.rata BRONZE said...
G.rata BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

Imagination is more important than knowledge ~ Albert Einstein

Incredible! You have realy strong emotion flowing through this one, It was heart breaking, but I couldn't stop reading! My favorite part was when you figure out that it was a bittersweet love story, though with out any romance. 5 stars on this one!

Dipsy said...
Dipsy, Cresco, Iowa

"The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary"

This was really good! Wow! Very descriptive! I love how you choose to end it there. And congrats! You got it published

blubird17 BRONZE, Covington, Texas

"Each day is a gift and not a given right."
-Nicklback

Wow! This was amazing! FIVE STARS!

ASYLUM said...
ASYLUM, Aurora, Colorado
Whoa. Breathtaking.

on Jun. 1 2011 at 9:42 am
Lost_in_time SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina

Talk Less, Say more.

Wow. This was really great. The descriptions were spot on, and you really had me tied into the story. 

I'm left wondering what exactly happened, and what will happen; I suppose that is a good thing.

There are a couple of tiny sentence structuring/word choice edits I would make, but really nothing major. 

This is great, congrats on getting published!

krarthurs SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts

All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called "Facts". They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain.
-Thomas Hobbes

This was very powerful. Truely a nightmare. Excellent job, and congratulations on getting it published!

Fawny PLATINUM said...
Fawny PLATINUM, Cheyenne, Wyoming

Love is a gift that must be cared for and cherished- Daniel Radcliffe
Life goes on- Tupac Shakur

this piece is wonderful!!!! it seems like it could be the perfect beginning to a great novel!!! i wanna know more about the story. it is really amazing and very emotional!!!

reenay_95 GOLD said...
reenay_95 GOLD, West Lafayette, Indiana

You can't see the stars if you are always looking down.

So emotional...I can't help but wonder what happened to him...

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This was fantastic, very well described, very sad and emotional.  Great job.  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?