Let Me be in Your Arms | Teen Ink

Let Me be in Your Arms

By crayolamusix SILVER, Richmond, Virginia
crayolamusix SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

"don't believe the hype."

“Justin.”

“Yeah, babe. I’ll call you later.”

“Justin!”

“Where am I? I’m just hanging with one of my friends.”

“J-u-s-t-in.”

“Male or Female? Jas. Why do you care so much who I’m hanging out with?”

“Stevens.”

“You love me? More like you’re obsessed with me.”

“Stevs!!”

“Well fine, whatever. You just do what you want and I’ll just do what I want.” He hung up and slammed the phone down on the coffee table. “Oh, you were talking to me?”

“I think you’re the only one here’s who’s name is Justin Stevens.”

He sighed and shook his brown hair out of his face “I’m sorry Lex. This chick, she’s driving me crazy. She wants to know where I am, who I’m with, and always gets mad when I’m not with her or I’m not telling her everything. It’s like I’m having a second mom-wait. I shouldn’t be ranting to you. You have enough stuff going on in your life to have my problems added to your plate.”

“It’s what I’m here for Justin. You can rant all you’d like. But I’ve got a question for you.”

“About Jasmine?”

“Yeah, why are you still with her all this time if she’s this crazy psycho chick.”

“Well, Lexie. She’s….hot. And I’m….sixteen.”

“So that’s really all you care about? Appearance?”

“NO! No, oh god that came out so wrong…”

“Justin, I didn’t know you were that shallow! What the hell is wrong with you? You know that you need someone that has more than looks!”

“And how would you know so much about what I want?!? Huh?”

I quieted down. If this screaming match kept going on he would definitely find out about my feeling. So, I just got up and left.

“Lexie. Lex, where are you going?”

“Away, away from you?”

“Well, where ever you go you know I’m going to follow.”

“Even to the bathroom?”

“You have a pretty big bathroom so, yeah. Lexie, you’re my best friend. I can’t just give up on you like that.”

I walked all the way from the living room to my room and sat down in my little corner of my bed. This was weird, my parents weren’t here and I wasn’t supposed to have guys in my room. Even Justin, lord knows he wouldn’t try anything anyway.

He plopped down right beside me. “Lexie, I’m sorry for screaming at you like that. It’s just that I’m so frustrated with Jasmine. I can’t even think straight. I’m so sorry Lexie.” He gave me that adorable smile.

I don’t know why I’ve felt this thing for him. I’ve always felt this sort of thing for him. Even since we were little kids, I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for him. Now, almost a decade later, I’m trying to fight back these burgeoning feelings.

But right then, I needed him. Like now.

So, I had to walk away again.

Justin giggled “Why are you walking back and forth like that?”

“I can’t sit on that bed with you. I-I just can’t. Bad things will happen.”

“Bad things, what do you mean?”

“Um-nothing. Just nothing. Maybe…you need to leave.”

“Lex. No. I’m not leaving. We’ve been able to tell each other everything since we were little kids and that isn’t going to stop now.” He grabbed my hand “So, you’re going to sit on this bed and tell me what’s going on in your head so I can understand.”

I looked into his eyes. They smiled. He swiped some hair from my face, and I swear we had a solid moment.

From then on things were a complete blur.

I did something totally out of character. I pounced on him. A decade of feeling just completely came out at that moment. He wasn’t trying to push me off when I made a move so I knew something was right. Everything felt right. Things started to get serious when Justin pulled back.

Oh damn, something’s wrong.

Justin climbed from on top of me and got off of the bed. He had a completely frozen look on his face. “I should definitely go home now.”

That was the last time I saw him.

[Two weeks later]

It’s been weeks since I’ve seen Justin. I’ve been playing that scene back in my head. Everything from his girlfriend calling until we stopped doing what has probably changed our friendship forever. I wished that I could just take it all back. If I had, Justin would still be here and he wouldn’t be ignoring me like that.

Then a knock came on the door. “Justin?”

He stood there shuffling his feet. “Hey. Can I come in?”

“You’re always welcome to come in Jus.” He carefully walked in like he hasn’t been coming in his house since he was six years old. “We broke up.”

“You and Jasmine?”

“Yeah.” I tried to keep a sad look on my face but inside I was shouting with happiness.

“When?”

“Actually a while ago. I needed time to think.”

“What happened?”

“I just told her all the stuff that I didn’t like about the relationship. She yelled at me. I also told her about…us. She slapped me.” Justin smiled. “But it was totally worth it. Lexie, I’ve told you everything that I have been feeling for the longest time now. Now shouldn’t be any different. What happened a couple of weeks ago, it felt right. But, it wasn’t at the right time at all. I’m not saying it shouldn’t have happened, but it was at the wrong time. It did feel a little weird though. I mean, I’m the one who told you about cooties in the first grade and told you to leave me the hell alone. I was surely a bad a** kid. Anyway, I’ve thought about it. I’ve fought back feeling for a while for you Lexie. We’ve had the craziest time as friends. I think it could be crazier if we were…you know…together.”

Two weeks of wait was definitely worth it.

“I mean, if you still feel something for me. Cause, if you don’t I-”

I just had to stop him from talking. He was doing way too much. We just kissed.

“So, I’m guessing that’s a yes?”

“You guessed right.” We kissed again. It was like he said, it felt so right. I just didn’t want to stop.

His phone started to rumble.

“Do you really have to get that?”

“Um…crap. It could be from my mom or something. Just give me a second.” He picked up his phone from the table and a blank expression came on his face. “Maybe you should look at this too.”

“Uh, okay.” He wants me to see a message from his Mom? Whatever….

It wasn’t his mom.

Justin, if you’re with Lexie right now. You probably shouldn’t be. You said that we had ended…but I know we’re just beginning.

- Jasmine.

Writing for me is a way to create a life that's more exciting to mine. I control everything. I decide if it's a happen ending or a sad ending. That's empowering to me.

Ellawind PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die today.

Well I did not see THAT ending coming, great job! I'd love to see more! Sort of reminds me of Pretty Little Liars (the books). Some things I think you should add more detail too- in the beginning I didn't realize that they were yelling until afterwards. Maybe you could also clarify how great of friends they were, spend a little more time on that. Overall, though, it pulled me in and made me want to keep reading. :)

taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories let up to it, it would always had the last word.

OH! I absolutely LOVE this! This is an AWESOME story! I can tell it is sooo gonna be good! A creepy stalker ex! I love it! :)