Abandoned | Teen Ink

Abandoned

By Monika Stempniewicz GOLD, Mt Prospect, Illinois
Monika Stempniewicz GOLD, Mt Prospect, Illinois

The first thing that met her eyes each morning as she woke up was the sun as it shined through her window. Its bright glow would make her close her eyes, and her lips would form into a smile. As much as the gaze blinded her, the warm, honey nut glow that shined on her was her source of energy. It would remind her that today was a new day, and even though yesterday might have been tough and caused her to shed some tears, today offered a fresh new start. The sun was her hope, her courage, her reminder that nothing was ever lost, and no matter what happened, she should keep on fighting.

She awoke one morning after enduring a difficult day. The stains from the prior day’s tears still lingered on her cheeks, while the memories of yesterday haunted her mind. All she had felt that day was a never-ending coldness that chilled her body, and froze the blood running in her veins. Tears couldn’t stop falling, but by the end of the day, she no longer knew what she was crying for. Hour after hour, dying a little bit more. As time passed, the pain just kept getting worse and worse. It shook her whole body and induced a feeling in her heart that she had never felt before. Why couldn’t it just spare her, and kill her all at once? Then it wouldn’t hurt.
She awoke with a miserable feeling in the pit of her stomach. That morning, the sun didn’t shine.

on Jun. 12 2010 at 10:52 am
fictionlover_o6 GOLD, Perpetual Village Tuguegarao, Florida
beautiful. sort of touching and encouraging at the same time