Haunted House | Teen Ink

Haunted House

By InkFeather SILVER, Quezon City, Other
InkFeather SILVER, Quezon City, Other

"Never give up!"

It was the first day of summer vacation and as usual, students, breaking free from the busy days of school, flooded to the amusement park, including Hazel and her friend.

Hazel enjoys every ride and booths at the amusement park, except for the haunted house. For as long as she could remember, she have been scared of the dark and ghosts, but her friend, Monica, whom she trusts the most, planned a little something for her.

"Uh... Monica... I don't think I can enter the haunted house." Hazel said with a shaky voice. She looked ahead and saw a lot of people in line waiting for their chance to enter the scary, dark place, but she knew that she can't go in.

"Come on, Hazel. I'll be with you, so you don't have to worry, okay? We have to remove that darkness-phobia thing of yours." Monica urged. She grabbed Hazel from her wrist and started dragging her.

They were halfway from the entrance when Monica suddenly wanted to go to the bathroom. Hazel wanted to go as well, but Monica told her that they would wait a hell of a long time again before they could enter. Hazel was forced to stay.

Hazel drew nearer and nearer to the entrance, but Monica was nowhere to be found. She wanted to get out of the line, but she thought that Monica might suddenly show up and they could both go inside.

She was right in front of the entrance when she started freaking out. The people behind her became impatient so they just pushed her inside. She freaked out more and started to cry. She can't see a thing and the eerie noises made her really scared that she crouched at one corner covering her ears, crying.

"Help me... please someone, help me." She kept repeating but the people thought she was one of the guys acting to scare them, so they ignored her and continued walking. She waited and waited until someone finally came over to help her, "Hey, you're not a crew here, aren't you? You okay?" said a guy's voice. She thought the voice was familiar, but she set it aside, she was so scared she hugged the guy while crying and hiccuping, "Please... help me, I'm, I'm... I'm really scared of the dark and my... my friend she's-..."

The guy interrupted her while trying to break free from her hug, "Okay, okay, explain it to me later. I'll get you out, okay? Don't cry anymore."

She nodded and the two of them started making their way out of the dark and creepy booth. Hazel had her eyes closed so she often got tripped but the guy always managed to catch her, "Careful now."

The place was filled with scary stuff and the atmosphere was heavy. People can be heard screaming at the distance and creepy cries and noises came from every corner. She crouched at the middle of the hallway covering her ears, "Oh my god... oh my god..."

The guy walked back and approached her, he was having a hard time but he doesn't want to leave her alone so he took out his mp3 player, turned it on but before he placed it on her ears, he whispered, "Listen to some loud music. Just close your eyes and hold onto my hand. I'll let you know if we're out."

Hazel held on to the mysterious guy's hand. It was big and really warm. And she got more curious from whom the helpful hand belongs to when she felt that he held on tighter, but in a caring way.

She did not realize that they finally made it out until the guy removed the earphones from her ears. The guy looked at her- she was still pale, sweating, and cold, "You okay... Hazel?" He asked with a worried tone.

She looked at him and was shocked. It was Marcus, his classmate. The guy who always teases her, the guy who she always argued with, and the guy that she doesn't know who loves her deeply, "Ma- Marcus?"

"I..I saw you entering the haunted house alone, but you looked freaked out and so I did everything to get inside as soon as possible, since I knew you were scared of the dark." He explained while scratching his head, trying avoid looking at her in the eyes.

Tears flooded Hazel's eyes, then she hugged him, "Thank you, Marc... If you weren't there... I would've died in fear... thank you for coming for me..."

Marcus gathered all his courage, getting ready to confess his feeling for her, "Its because... its because... I... I love you, Hazel. I just don't know how to express it in... a sweet way."

Just as everything was about to fall in place, Monica arrived but didn't expect what she saw, "Hazel! Now, did you got over with.. your... darkness-phobia.... What's goin' on between you two?"

Hazel wiped her tears and faced her best friend, "Oh I get it, you two planned this all along!"

"What? No! I just wanted you to get over with your fear, that's all! I don't even know what Marcus is doing here with you! And you were hugging each other!" Monica rampaged.

"So you planned on letting me enter that booth alone?!" Then she turned to Marcus and smiled, "But I guess as long as this guy is with me, I might go back to that haunted house again."

on Jun. 18 2010 at 3:17 am
InkFeather SILVER, Quezon City, Other

"Never give up!"

Thank you! :)

Miara GOLD said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 5:32 pm
Miara GOLD, Ottumwa, Iowa

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
Dying is a day worth living for.
The problem with being the last of anything is by and by there be none left.

I loved it!