End of the Outsiders rewrite | Teen Ink

End of the Outsiders rewrite

By starfishgurl BRONZE, Dgsdfh, Mississippi
starfishgurl BRONZE, Dgsdfh, Mississippi

“Hey, Johnnycake!” Two-Bit yelled from the street. Johnny waved back, a smile lighting up his face.
Dally was pushing Johnny is his wheelchair. Dallas had really changed since Johnny’s near-death experience. Nobody thought that Johnny would actually make – I didn’t. That’s when Dally hit his breaking point. Nothing ever seemed to bother Dally; he just shrugged off everything, even death. But Johnny’s “death” was different. It shook everyone – especially Dally. Johnny was the only person that Dally ever loved. The day Johnny was released from the hospital; Dally took the role of both of his parents. Everyday they would eat all their meals together. They visited the park or went to movies. Dally made sure that Johnny was never alone, always in his protection. Johnny loved it. There was a smile on his face even though he was dying inside that he could not use his legs. Stuck in a wheelchair for life was not ideal for anybody, but for a rambunctious greaser?
The screen door squeaked as I opened it slightly and slid out. Shoot! I thought. I didn’t want to wake up Darry, he looked so peaceful. More peaceful than I have seen him in years. He only worked one job now so he could spend more time with Sodapop and I. The judge said that he would take care of some of our expenses so Darry could be home to help me get better. It really worked. My grades in school improved as well as my attitude. I worked really hard on my English grade, I wanted to make my teacher proud. I wrote a story for extra credit about this past year and it began like this: When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home…

This is a rewrite of the ending of the novel, the Outsiders. In the real story, Johnny and Dallas are both dead. Johnny died in a fire and Dallas killed himself due to Johnny's death. I hope you enjoy it. I apologize for any grammatical errors! Please comment and rate.

gumdropj said...
on Jun. 11 2010 at 9:00 pm
Aww... I've always imagined a different ending to The Outsiders. One that had Johnny and Dally alive... you did a great job rewriting the ending. I love the happy stuff! <3