Losing Grace

I lie in bed in fetal position with black mascara tears slowly flowing down my face staining my cheeks with grayish lines. She was only 17, a year younger than me. She didn’t have to go. Downstairs, everyone is sitting around eating casseroles and Paninis acting like everything is going to be okay but I know better than to believe their fake faces. My black dress was stained with grass and dirt from when I has kneeled on the ground and cried my eyes out in front of everyone. It wasn’t even embarrassing. I just cried and cried and cried until my mom pulled me away and made me sit down while the priest said something over her lifeless body. We’re not even religious. I was wearing the red pumps that my sister had gotten me for my birthday, and in her casket she was wearing her favorite yellow pumps, the ones I had bought her. I would never be able to give her another gift and I would never receive one from her. I still had my shoes on as I walked to the mirror and stared at myself. Puffy red eyes, the green from my eyes completely replaced with grief and sorrow from losing my one and only baby sister. My usually shiny, long brown hair seemed dull and boring, and my voluptuous figure that I took pride in caring for didn’t seem to matter, nothing mattered anymore. Who cared what I looked like? I know I didn’t. I slowly walked down stairs and felt the stares of everyone. I looked around but saw empty faces, people who thought they understood what I was going through. I grabbed my coat and keys and drove to the nearest drug store and bought a bottle of black hair dye. The bathroom as dingy and gross but I stood there at the sink and applied the dye to my hair. I watched my tears fall and hit the off white sink and I watched as the dye dripped everywhere coloring everything black. Slowly, I bent down and let the cool water wash away the globs of pigment that would stain my hair. Slowly, I walked back to my car and drove home in silence. The entire house gasped as I walked in, my perfect beach, brown waves were replaced with jet black hair just as a black hole was ripped through my heart. Losing Grace was the worst thing that ever happened to me, she was my best friend, my sister, and my rock. Every day, I yearn for her and everyday I have to live knowing that she is gone forever. Maybe one day I can see her again but for now, I have to go on.

HopelessSharpie said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm:
i see everyone on here, putting up the same stories in different formats, but you took a topic that is lightly chosen and made it this amazing beautiful for lack of a better word "grace"ful piece and almost had me crying it is amazing. i also see everyone on here asking to write more of this story, but i think if you wrote more it would destroy the masterpiece you would take the mystery away and it would just be another story, you are amazing.

Maleesha replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm :
thank you so much! i really appreciate the feedback

palakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:18 pm:
nearly got me crying...plz keep writing

Maleesha replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 5:36 pm :
thanks for reading and commenting, it means a lot!

HopelessSharpie replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 6:14 pm :
oh my gosh, thank you so much for writing this, it is amazing like i said, i should my friends and they loved it too, and you know youre amazing for replying to every comment most people are to buzy to reply to one much less be that considerate, you are a great writer, good luck in the future maybe one day ill be at borders picking up YOUR book, that would be nice, talk to you later my fellow writer. =) your random buddy WeAreAllWasted.

kksme This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:14 am:
This was so beautiful, it brought me close to tears. Please keep writing.

Maleesha replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 5:34 pm :
thank you!! ur support means a lot!

Rachel D. said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 3:36 pm:
This is really good! It's touching, and it speaks to me. As I was reading it though I wanted to know what happened to her sister, but when I got to the end I was surpirised because I didn't think the ending would be good without knowing what happend to her. The ending was really good! Keep writing!!

Maleesha replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm :
thanks so much im glad it has impacted you!

irrara12 said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 7:56 am:
This is really emotional and touching.

Maleesha replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm :
thank you!