Depression Takes Over | Teen Ink

Depression Takes Over

I had a friend when I was about fourteen years old. She was such a kind and truely happy girl. She was the girl that everyone just liked. She was always trying to help someone, or make someones life easier. She had a huge heart, uncomparable to any other. She cared for everyone, even those she barely knew. Others strived to be like her; or better yet to be her. This girl, more like this perfection, was my best friend.

We were inseperable. The true definition of best friends. She loved me, and I loved her. She could give advice about any situation, and advice that was never shy of helpful. At some points, I don't know what I would have done without her. There was never a moment where she was not there for me. 

As we came to a new milestone in both of our lifes, high school... We began to slowly drift apart. We were involved in different activities so we saw each other less often. Which was really okay, I mean we promised to always be best friends! A few months into high school, I noticed some changes about her though. She avoided her friends, even her family. She used to tell me about every aspect of her life. And then, nothing. I hardly saw her laughing or even smiling anymore. This wasn't my friend... Something had taken over her. 

But what was it?! Still to this day, I can't seem to figure it out. Was it a boy? Family? Had I done this to her?! I tried my very hardest to let her know she could open up to me. I wanted to help her; I wanted to see her happy again. I tried to be positive and uplifting. I tried reminding her of who she used to be. I tried everything, which was never enough. 

I woke one morning to an unexpected phone call. My friends mother was on the other line in hysterics. Of everything the woman said, all I heard was, "Please come over quick." I arrived at her house as fast as I possibly could. Pulling down her street, I saw flashing lights. Police cars? Ambulances? What is going on?! I ran in the house to find the mother lying helplessly on the floor. I asked where she was and all the woman could do was point to the bedroom. Hesitantly, I made my way to the door. The next moment, a sight I will never forget. She was laying on her bed, just so peacefully. Then I noticed the pistol... She couldn't! She wouldn't! I ran to her, screaming for her to wake up... Nothing...

I layed with her for hours. I couldn't let her go that easily. Just as I was leaving, I noticed a small piece of paper, folded perfectly twice on her bedside table. In small letters...it read my name. I picked it up, slowly and cautiously. My tears were falling so hard that it was difficult to read. It was very short, very simple. All it said; "I'm sorry I left you. I just was not strong enough. I love you, always...forever."

Those were the last words she ever said to me. That was the final goodbye.. I miss her, very much. But I did all I could to save her. There was no home remedy to magically make her happy. It was up to her. In the end, this world was too much for her. I lost my nearest and dearest friend the hardest way possible. And now... I live for her. 

This was written as if someone were looking at my life. I've changed so much recently and don't know how to cope with it.

Music15 BRONZE said...
Music15 BRONZE, Shokan, New York
I really like your writing!! It's so true...depression takes over everything...I've learned that this year......this article could be what alot of people are thinking, i know it is for me....your writing is really powerful...keep writing.