4 O'clock A.M. | Teen Ink

4 O'clock A.M.

By Erica Fisher SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Erica Fisher SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey

The volume of the television blasts to the highest mark it goes to. A light flickers once surrounding the room, and even with my eyes shut, I can feel a yellow light around me. I jump up with surprise, and I realize I’m sprawled out on the hard-wood, living room floor.

“This should be great on my back,” I whisper to myself sarcastically. I try my hardest to get out of the uncomfortable position I’m in. I roll, turn, and pull a few muscles all at one time. Eventually, my lethargic body drags itself off of the floor.

I snatch the bag of potato chips off of the table beside me to put it away, like I meant to do before I fell asleep. I look up at the clock and it says 3:59 A.M. I stare at it until it changes to 4:00 A.M. It’s an OCD thing. With the chips in hand, I slide my feet one by one to the kitchen. I throw the bag on top of the refrigerator, and a chill makes me wiggle.

I stand for two seconds half asleep, and all of a sudden I’m wide awake. A tickle sneaks under my foot. Afraid to move, I cover my mouth forcing the scream back down my throat. I run rapidly to the living room deciding that it’s the best decision. I squint back to where I was standing, and I see a cricket sitting happily in my spot. I squirm in the form of a dance from being so grossed out. A sharp pitched squeal jumps out of me. I run up to my room, leap into my bed, and pull the covers over me so tightly that I can’t move. Nothing will be able to come in now. I shut my eyes, and quickly fall back asleep.