A Serious Problem | Teen Ink

A Serious Problem

By lucy617 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
lucy617 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia

In the midst of winter,
I finally learned that
there was in me
an invincible summer.

Waking up on a cloudy morning, Cathy shivered and reached for her robe. Upon donning it, she glided downstairs. Once she was in her kitchen, she made herself a cup of coffee.

With a jolt, Cathy realized she wasn’t wearing a hat. Her outfit wouldn’t be complete without it. She dashed back upstairs and retrieved one. Gingerly, Cathy placed it on her head and sat back down. Taking another sip of her scalding coffee, Cathy’s mind began to whirl. She remembered all the trouble she was in.

Her comely expression disappeared. A serious, thoughtful expression came over her face. She sat there, with her legs crossed, until the doorbell rang. With a sigh, she got up to open the door. It was the mailman. Amicably, he handed her the mail. Cathy took it and shut the door.

Flipping quickly through the mail, Cathy found what she was looking for – her credit card bill. Cathy’s hands trembled and her face turned ashen when she read the mail and realized she owed the bank a lot of money. To make matters even worse, the lender had even cancelled her credit card. With a groan, Cathy sat down and took another sip of her coffee.

“How will I be able to survive?” said Cathy out loud, “I can’t buy anything! What ever shall I do?”

Minutes ticked by as Cathy thought of a plan to rescue herself from debt.

Brrrr. Brrrr. Brrrrr. Cathy’s cell phone started to vibrate. Startled, Cathy reached out and answered it.

“Hello Cathy. I’m Sam. I am in charge of discussing your financial situation with you. We were supposed to talk yesterday.” A gruff voice spoke on the other side of the line.

“Hello Sam! I am so sorry that I forgot. I had a lot on my mind recently. Can I come to your office later today? I would really like to have a discussion with you. Why did you have to cancel my credit card? I really needed that!” Cathy replied.

“You haven’t paid your bills in quite a while. I did what I thought best. If you have time right now, come on over to my office.” replied Sam in a calm voice.

“I’m coming right now. So can you reactivate my credit card?” Cathy asked again.

“Cathy! We will discuss this later! Bye,” snapped Sam. His calm voice had been supplanted by an irritated one.

“Bye,” sighed Cathy

After hanging up the phone, Cathy ran back upstairs and changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Grabbing her purse, she headed out the door. Cathy waved down a cab, and gave the taxi driver the address of the bank. Upon reaching the bank, she paid her fare and walked briskly into the building.

“I’m looking for Sam. I have an appointment,” stated Cathy to the receptionist.

“Okay. He will come out shortly,” replied a bored receptionist

After sitting down and picking out a magazine to read, Cathy was called for and she entered Sam’s office.

“I am so glad that you could make it today! I talked with my boss, and we decided to reactivate your credit card!” smiled Sam.

“Thank you, but what can I do to get myself out of debt?” inquired Cathy

“You will have to work really hard. You can try by cutting back on what you buy,” stated Sam.

“You make a good point! I will work hard to do as you have told me to!” beamed Cathy.

“Thank you for your cooperation then. Have a great day.”

“Bye Sam. I will call you if I have any questions.”

Cathy walked out of the building with a smile plastered on her face.