DECISION.

The ringing phone filled her with dread.

The ringing phone filled her with horror, with disgust, with melancholy.

The ringing phone filled her with love.

The ringing phone filled her with hope, with longing, with happiness.

The ringing phone was ringing.

What to do? Two options presented themselves to the girl: to answer or to ignore was where the true question lie.

She flanked at the telephone, its miniature screen lighting up with each shrill cry of, “Answer me! Answer!” Her mind raced with the possibilities at hand.

It could be an old friend, asking to meet up again. It could be the man of her dreams, asking what time they should get together for dinner. It could be the lottery officials notifying her that yes, she had won the jackpot!

It could be her neighbor, asking to borrow milk.

It could be a serial killer, signaling the beginning of her end.

Lying on the couch, she stared at the ceiling and pondered.

Would the good outweigh the bad, or would all of life’s negativity triumph?

The telephone’s cry slowly drew her in, while also pushing her away. A decision had to be made, and soon, for all life’s possibilities would not present themselves forever.

Her heart slowly began to fill with the joy that was friendship and love.

The sheer pleasure in having friends who cared enough to call, or maybe a beautiful relationship waiting to happen, or more money than she could ever imagine- these far outweighed the pain she would feel if she did, in fact, open herself to these possibilities to receive pain.

She was going to answer the phone.

Leaping to her feet from the soft haven the couch had previously offered, she sprinted towards the telephone. Across the room, it released another shrill cry, again announcing all the opportunities it contained.

She arrived at the desk where the phone was perched.

Her hand, a desperate warrior, wrapped around the object as it released its final cry.

A smile enveloped her face, tears of joy sprung to her eyes as she pressed the talk button and raised the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

The only response was dial tone.

The girl collapsed in despair.

It was too late.

KokoPebbles said...
May 16, 2010 at 12:58 am
Very interesting idea. I love the whole idea that a phone call can bring so many different things. My only doubt is in the ending: She collapses in despair... is that a little too harsh? Only because she was mentioning how reluctant she was to answer the phone, that perhaps being too late would bring relief about delaying her decision or something. Than again that's just a personal creative choice. It's great as is!

hyp0allergenic replied...
May 16, 2010 at 11:22 am

hah, it's supposed to be funny. Kind of...dry humor, waaaay overdramatic. :P

Thanks for the feedback, though!

KokoPebbles replied...
May 16, 2010 at 11:56 am
In that sense it's very dramatic :) I was kind of going off of the other persons review... but as a humorous poem its perefct.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 8:37 am
This is very creative and powerful!  I've never read anything like it.  Great job.