Simply Selfish | Teen Ink

Simply Selfish

April 15, 2010
By Miss.Gianna GOLD, West Hills, California
Miss.Gianna GOLD, West Hills, California
10 articles 0 photos 4 comments

That one kid was always on the bus.

He always sat alone, never talked to anyone, and always just quietly stared at the window next to him.

Kids often picked on him in school.

I'd observe this daily routine and really thought nothing of it.

I mean sure I felt bad for him, but I never really thought about defending him.

I never actually thought he could be hurting inside.

I was simply selfish.

While kids were worrying about grades, or making the sports team, or just being popular, here was he.

He sat alone at lunch, he rarely talked, and I don't think he ever went to class.

And when he didn't come to school?

No one even noticed.

No one even cared.

No one even bothered.

So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when a few days later I found out he had committed suicide.

No one even knew his name, who he was, or if even he went to our school.

The only reason I knew was because he was on my bus.

I had observed his introverted ways, and lack of friends.

I should've talked to him, I should've been a friend.

I wish I would've just said something, maybe just gave him a simple smile; letting him know he wasn't all alone in this world.

I wish I wouldn't have been simply selfish.


The author's comments:
Havn't you ever known one of those kids that never had any friends? Or maybe they were always bullied?
What would you think if you were the one who actually noticed them, but never did anything to try and talk to them or make them feel less lonely? This just might be the out-come.