just a dream | Teen Ink

just a dream

By broken_hearted_lover93 GOLD, Canisteo, New York
broken_hearted_lover93 GOLD, Canisteo, New York

"life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what your gonna get." -Forest Gump-

I’m in the backseat of a car, with my best friend and my ex boyfriend. I think we are taking him home. We get to his house and go inside. It’s a trailer, with small rooms and a wood stove. The place is a mess. We go out to the car, climb in and leave him behind. We’re going somewhere that is not home.

I don’t know where we are going, but my mom is driving so I don’t ask. All of a sudden she pulls over, gets out of the car and walks to my door. She pulls me out of my seat and drives away, leaving me on the side of the road. I don’t have cell phone service and I’m all alone.

Suddenly I see headlights in the distance; I think it might be my mom coming back for me. But I’m wrong. The car slows down and the driver looks at me. To my surprise it’s my first love. Memories flash back, and I freeze. He stops the car and climbs out.

“What are you doing out here by yourself?”

I look at him and shrug my shoulders, then run to him and wrap my arms around his waist as I fall to the ground in tears. He pulls me up and hugs me tighter than he ever had in the past; he pats my back.

“Everything will be just fine.”

But then I hear a baby crying, and he pulls away from me.

“Is that your baby?” He nods and runs to the car to get the screaming baby.

“Do you need a ride?”
…I just nod.
“Where to?”
“As long as it’s not home, I don’t care.”

We walk back to the car, and he let’s me put the baby back into its car seat. I climb into the passenger seat. He climbs in and starts the engine. As he drives the first few minutes are quiet, then he looks at me.

“Are you going to tell me what’s wrong”
“No.”
“Why not? You know you can tell me anything.”…he places his hand on mine.

He continues driving in silence after this. And I start to cry. I haven’t seen him in so long, and here he is coming to my rescue.

We end up going to his house. His girlfriend isn’t home, and I stay with him…in their bed. Nothing happens, but he holds me through the night.

i don't understand the dream. or why i had it. but for some reason it made me think more on what i really want in life. and though he now has a fasmily, and hs moved on. my first love is still my main love, and he still holds my heart in his hands.

Annabell SILVER, Leavenworth, Kansas

Have you heard the joke about the window? Nevermind, it's too dirty.

maybe you're dream signifies that you're letting go. It will be hard, but you'll get through.