Beauty, the Beast

After each step, the lioness pauses, being careful not to scare her unsuspecting prey. She takes another step, her big paw touching the ground with stealthy care and silent ease. She digs her thick claws into the dirt and waits. Another step. The zebras in the open field don't have time to fully grasp what hit them. The breeze changes directions; one looks up . . . then another . . . then another. Her scent has reached them, and panic is starting to rise. One of the zebras cries out a warning, and the herd runs as one. The lioness leaps gracefully from her hiding place in the tall grass and runs with the herd. Her sharp golden eyes lock on a target, and her legs move even faster as her muscles pump and her heart races with anticipation. She flies to the side of her victim and in just moments seizes the creature. The zebra tries to resist the force of its predator as the sharp claws break its skin and sharp teeth grip its neck. She brings it down easily and waits for her mate.

The male lion comes along gradually and helps himself to an easy meal. When he is done, he sits back to lick his jaw as the lioness has her turn in feeding. He leaves her alone and starts walking back to his favorite shade, where he lays down and shakes his long, thick mane. He slowly gazes around the lonely savannah with his bright golden eyes and opens his mouth wide to yawn, revealing many sharp teeth. In time the lioness walks over to join his lazy rest. Her steps are not so stealthy now, but her muscles are still obviously working. The sun shines on her smooth golden coat, and her long tail twitches idly. Her eyes fixed on her destination, she moseys to her spot. The lioness lays next to the lion and yawns. She licks her paw casually before laying down her head and dozing off. The breeze plays with the lion's golden mane; he yawns loudly, lays his head on his paws, and closes his eyes. He is satisfied.

citydancer94 said...

OMG! I love it! Lioneses rule! lol. good job! can't wait to  read more of your stuff!

P.S. This is Molly

small.group.friend said...
I really enjoyed your physical description of the lioness and her mate--I felt like I could see them!

sk8teagain! said...
I just love watching cats. The way they move and look is just awesome... it points to the one who made them. Great job!