Confession | Teen Ink

Confession

March 29, 2010
By Moonbeam BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
Moonbeam BRONZE, Washington, District Of Columbia
4 articles 1 photo 0 comments

As she waited for Greg to arrive, she thought she was going to die. Each minute seemed to take an hour to pass by. She stared at the clock. Its hands appeared to be moving in slow motion. Her heart was racing. She stood up and paced around the room. It was already 5:58. He should be there any minute now. They had arranged to meet up at her house at 5:45, and he was nowhere to be seen. It seemed like he was never going to show up.

She had tried to call his cellphone. He wouldn't answer. She hoped that he was okay. A flood of possibilities flowed into her mind. What if he had gotten into a car crash? What if he was dying? What if something equally bad or worse had happened to him? And it would be all her fault for telling him to come over.

Her thoughts were interrupted with the ringing of the doorbell. She had a small muscle spasm before she could will herself to answer the door. Her sweaty hands nearly slid off of the doorknob as she tried to open it. Her heart reached a climax, and then she finally got the door opened.

There stood Greg, her boyfriend. My boyfriend, she thought. He stood looking at her. She stood in the doorway, staring back at him. She wasn't sure what to say or do next.

“Gina,” he said. He smiled slightly. She moved out of the doorway to allow him to come in.

He entered the living room. “Take a seat,” she said dryly. He sat down on the couch, but she could not bring herself to do so. Instead, she remained standing, and turned away from him.

“What's up?” he asked. She took in a deep breath, and turned back around. She could not look him in the eye. Instead, she stared at the wall right beside his head.

“I need to talk to you,” she said.

“I know,” he said. “That's why I'm here.” They were both silent. Gina was really too scared to say anything. Greg just looked at her with his green eyes, waiting for her to continue.

“I have something to say,” she said. “And it's really important.”

“Go ahead,” he said. “What is it that you need to say?”

“Well . . . ” She turned back around again. She wasn't sure how or if she would be able to say what she needed to.

“I'm seeing someone else,” she said, slightly relieved to have gotten it off of her chest.

“What?” he whispered. She bit her lip and turned back around, although still couldn't look him in the eye.

“I've been seeing someone else,” she said. “For about two months now.” There was only silent between them.

“There's more,” she said.

“Yeah?” Greg said.

“Yeah,” she said. She took in another deep breath, and prepared herself for what she was going to say next.

“I've been seeing another woman,” she said. She thought that those words along would be enough to get her point across.

She waited, and waited, and waited. Still, Greg said nothing, did nothing. Eventually, he began to smile. At first, small, but it grew to envelop his entire face. His chest began to quiver with laughter.

“What's so funny?” she asked, his expression being one that she had not expected.

“You know what's funny?” he asked, his laughter slowing down.

“What?” she asked.

“I've been seeing someone else too,” he said. Gina digested those words. It took her a moment to respond. This entire conversation had gone much differently than she had expected.

“Oh?” she managed to say.

“Yeah,” he said. “Another man.”