An Angel in Hell. | Teen Ink

An Angel in Hell.

By Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

"Don't think, don't judge, just listen." - Sarah Dessen

‘We’ll run.’ Momma whispered in my ear. ‘You and me, we’ll leave.’ Her words were like silk against my skin. ‘I promise.’ Momma sealed the deal with those two words. She sealed my hope and trust in that promise. Leaving here, that would have been unbelievable. A dream come true. However, its just a dream, boiling away in my head. Momma promised me. You had to keep a promise, don’t you? I had always thought so. Until now. She was gone. No coming back. I knew that. She had an escape in which she took, her blonde locks swinging behind her, just like the front door.

How could she leave me, leave me here to rot and bruise under dad’s hand? I had thought she was one person who loved me. I thought of her as my wonder woman. Now all those thoughts are all burning up in smoke. All I wanted was to escape along her side. I wanted so bad to leave.

My eyes burn from the tears that leak, one after another, keeping a steady flow. Why does it hurt like hell? I would rather feel nothing at all then feeling this pain. This pain that blooms inside my heart with each broken promise. This pain that expands along my skin with each punch ‘n kick.

I remember when we use to be a family. Momma would take me to the grocery store every Sunday, that was her church. She use to love picking out new foods, then giving us a surprise dinner. She was a god herself when it came to cooking. Everything she cooked could have been food from Heaven it self. Back then, dad was working as an English professor at New York University, he loved his job. Even more, he loved mom and me.

He would walk in the door and call out ‘My girls!’ Always taking us both in one great hug as soon as he made it in the door but then dad lost his job and things started changing. Dad starting drinking and things got out of hand. Momma and him started to fuss, something they never did. After fussing one time, the doors banging and dad drunk off his a**, he laid a slap across momma’s face. Her expression was a mix of fear and shock.

From then on, hitting took its place, getting worse and worse every time. Harder. It’s been five years since my family was happy. What went wrong? Oh, I have an answer to that. Everything. They say time heals. However, not even do I believe that all the scars on my skin will heal, each has it’s own flaw that I will never be able to forget.

I look up at the door, the white paint chipped off and the pencil marks where momma marked my height when I was younger, when everything was okay. I touch the gapping skin on my forearm, dad’s art. I’d rather feel nothing at all then pain because I’d rather be six feet under the ground, flying with the angels, instead of an angel in hell. At least thats what Momma had always told me, when things started getting bad, that I was an angel in hell.

Iamber GOLD said...
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

Earlgsw, It does. It makes alot easier but I'm sure alot of writers, that write novels, don't write from exp. examples would be Sarah Zarr, Sarah Dessen's work. You have to know how to draw in a reader, make them believe and make them feel the impact of emotions- which I'm working on trying to do.

You both should get a Goodreads if you like to write, even if it's just poems :)

Iamber GOLD said...
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

Claire, I will. Feel free to read more of mine ;) Jk. But I will. & thanks for commenting on this and letting me know what you think :)

earlgsw said...
on May. 25 2010 at 11:50 am
does it make writing easyer if you use personal experixance and your percption of what youve lead from peoples true life storys?

clairexaudrey PLATINUM, Bethel, Connecticut

"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."
-Elizabeth Kubler Ross

If you could read some of my stuff, it'd mean a lot. I'm no story teller, I'm more of a poet/ a girl writing about her teenage angst and problems lol. But tell me what you think (:

Iamber GOLD said...
on May. 24 2010 at 7:19 am
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

Thanks.. Some of it is personal, some of it not. :P All about mking the reader believe, thats what makes a good story.. that and a few other things. Hah.

earlgsw said...
yeah there is just something about writing putting personal expression into word is the only way your voice gets heard it almost makes it timeless but you should keep writting your pretty good at it :)

Iamber GOLD said...
on May. 20 2010 at 11:00 am
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

Thanks! So much :)

Iamber GOLD said...
on May. 20 2010 at 10:59 am
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

I know wat you mean. I don't much when I'm in school. But its summer now, no school ;D

Haha. It's hard to put meaning into writing period. Lol. But I bet if you just write, it'll come to you.

-Elizabeth Kubler Ross

This was very good. I can't write fiction or stories and I give so much credit to those who can create a story out of nothing. Great job and keep writing!

earlgsw said...
on May. 3 2010 at 10:43 am
lol your welcome like ive been trying to write myself i just havent found the time plus its kinda hard to put meaning pertaing to a song lol

Iamber GOLD said...
Iamber GOLD, Smiths, Alabama

Thanks :) !

earlgsw said...
great peice of writing im suprised ther arnt more comments great job :)