Internal Conversation | Teen Ink

Internal Conversation

By Penelope GOLD, Hillsborough, New Jersey
Penelope GOLD, Hillsborough, New Jersey

There comes a time when you have to stop thinking of yourself as the main character in your own story, but as the suppporting character in someone else's story.

In a strange sort of way, I feel like I've met you before. You just have a familiar face...I suppose people would tell you that all the time. Maybe you just have one of those faces, you know, the one that everyone recognizes, then second guesses...yeah, I know what you mean. That does get annoying.

How do I know? Happens to me, too. I don't know why. I consider my face very distinct. But maybe it's like hearing your own voice, how you sound different when you hear yourself than when other people hear you. You've never heard of that before? It's got something to do with the sound bending around your head before it gets to your ear. Yeah, I couldn't believe it either! But that explains why I sound so weird on recordings and stuff.

Your voice? To me, it sounds a little gravelly, a little hoarse, but it's just sort of a wispy affect in the background. Yeah, I like it! I like it a lot! Too many woman have those nasal voices, you know? Like they're on helium or something.

Your laugh is nice, too. Just thought you should know.

But seriously, I've never met you before? I remember you from somewhere, I just don't remember where. Did you go to Holly Pines Summer Camp a few years back? I remember a girl from there, about your height, used to pass her in the mess hall...

Oh, well. It was worth a shot. How about life-guarding class, back in '07? There was one shy kid, way in the back...was that you?

No. Well, you don't seem very shy, anyway....Did it sound like an insult? It's good to be shy, in moderation.

I should just drop this and leave you alone, but I can't. I have seen your face before. It's going to bother me forever. Every time I see you after this, I'll start thinking. Thinking isn't healthy for me.

Hm. Well, I do hope I see you again, anyway. It's been nice talking to you.

Oh, wait, now I remember the place:

It was the mirror.

there I go again, talking to myself...

Anita PLATINUM said...
on Apr. 4 2010 at 6:04 pm
Anita PLATINUM, Santa Cruz, California
wow, this is a really cool article. You have a great, casual voice. write more, i'd love to read it!