Being Protected | Teen Ink

Being Protected

By kristylynn BRONZE, Hertford, North Carolina
kristylynn BRONZE, Hertford, North Carolina

God doesn't give you the people you want, He gives you the people you need, to help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you into the person you were meant to be."

June 10th 2008 was the day I would never forget. It was my 8th grade graduation when I realized everything was changing as soon as I got in my car and left. We were moving away from a home that meant everything to me. I had the best of friends who I grew up with. I put myself to sleep by crying at night and I never knew if I could ever move on. The day I said my goodbye’s hit me like stepping on glass. My greatest friend ever Katie had tears in her eyes and she didn’t want to let go but we had no choice but to move on. Katie was only twelve years old and she was very mature for her age. I felt as if I was an older sister to her. I protected her through everything that I could do, but when I left I feared she would change forever but all I could do and all that I did do is pray for her for God to protect her when I’m not there. Now my home is Hertford, and it’s hard to say that I love it because in the inside I would give anything to go back. As the summer of 08 and my freshmen year passed I grew untenable. I couldn’t focus on anything, but one teacher that I had my freshmen year changed my outlook on life. Mrs. Griffin made me feel like I was somebody and that I belonged here but things changed just in a blink of an eye the summer that was coming up. My daddy started drinking and things went from there to a downfall. It felt like the end for me as I sat up in my bed and listened to my mom and dad fight, I got so worked up from hearing my dad call her nasty names that I took it upon myself to confront him. It got tooken to extreme measures by being drug by hair down the hallway; luckily my brother was there to protect me. After this night my dad said so many sorrys you couldn’t count them. But the inside of me couldn’t tell if that was a sorry say “I will do it again” or a sorry that says “I love you”. This is my shelter? Why me right? Well it happens all over America so next time you see a kid walking alone. Think to yourself. Does he have anyone protecting him?

This is one of my storys that I think would reach out to some people that have been emtionally broken. My life has inspired me to write this.