Float On | Teen Ink

Float On

By Laughing5 BRONZE, Livermore, California
Laughing5 BRONZE, Livermore, California

"When life gives you lemons make grape juice and let the world figure out how the hell you did it" I think that's how it goes! :)

I would like you to close your eyes. And just try to picture this…this simple image. It could result in… beautiful things if you let your mind wander for awhile. Now please…close your eyes…and see what I see.

A leaf. Picture a leaf and nothing else. It doesn’t matter what kind of leaf. Maybe it’s a leaf from a dying branch. Yellow and brown and…slightly crunchy? Or maybe it’s soft and green…fresh from a spring showered shrub covered in little pink flowers. It doesn’t matter really. Just a vivid image of that leaf.

Wind picks up now. The leaf is blowing around in every direction possible! You’re running around trying to grab it but each time you get just close enough to touch it, the wind steals it away once more. Are you frustrated? Are you upset you can’t reach your beloved leaf? Maybe you’re okay with this…maybe you don’t mind losing that leaf.

The leaf blows on. Out onto a raging ocean. With waves smashing on a rocky shore…surrounded by blue skies and open mountain ranges. Eventually…your leaf is washed out to sea. Out past the roaring white waters until everything is calm. It sails for a long time…like a helpless sailboat with a torn sail. It finally resorts to floating having lost its energy from all the waves. So it floats, floats lonely on clear blue waters.

And this is where our leaf’s journey ends. Floating silently on a surface of blue glass. And just picture that leaf now. Everything is over. The little leaf will sit for as long as it pleases with only its friends that wind and water to tell it what to do. So float on my little leaf…float on…

I just want people to visualize that simple image the way I visualized it. I was inspired when I was trying to draw a leaf and then this popped into my head.