Regret

Remorse is a word that is persistently being misused. Remorse does not define scratching your dad’s new car or getting a C on a test. It’s something more meaningful and powerful that doesn’t go away. It’s trapped inside your body.
I broke something when I was young. It wasn’t an item that you’d find shopping in the stores; it’s much too delicate and fragile to even be handled. It had a heart. Which was why, when I looked on the price tag dangling from one of the shattered pieces, it said priceless.
It’s not something that can ever be undone or unsaid. Even if you would turn back time and do it different, remorse would still be cooped up inside you, like a fly trying to get out of a house; bashing into windows. Never leaving you. But if you have as great as remorse as I had, just by having it, the price can be paid.

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Cool! Great metaphor.

thewriteidea This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thanks so much!

Danadolly said...
Awesome. I like the first few lines. They really spoke to me.

thanks! i love your input

softballlover said...
fabulous! love this :-)

loveyou said...
GREAT JOB! one of my faves.

eatlovesleep said...
omg i love it! it's original and it makes me think!

jill456 said...
nice job!! i love this piece. you have a way of looking deep into the emotions. greatt!

Jan-o Wizard said...

Wonderful life's lesson here. Remorse is actually an important thing to experience. It helps us learn from our mistakes and do better the next time. Without it, we'd be sentenced to repeating the same errors without end.

I hope this poem was cathartic for you, and it helped to release some of the "cooped up" feelings.

poohbear777 said...
Remorse shows that you are human and without it, you will never the difference what's better and what's worse.