The President's Daughter | Teen Ink

The President's Daughter

By Kara Alvarez BRONZE, Bridgeport, West Virginia
Kara Alvarez BRONZE, Bridgeport, West Virginia

Seven different high schools, six different states, and zero friends. I do not get text messages or e-mails. I have never been invited to a party and have never gone out on a date. My life consists mostly of my father’s political campaign. I have never been “Khloe the jock” or “Khloe the smart girl.” In fact, to most, I don’t really have a first name at all. I am “that girl whose dad is going to be the president.” As the movers brought in the boxes, I looked out upon the Capital and the Washington Monument, wondering if this school would be any different from my last.

“Khloe,” Mom called. “Time to get up and get ready for school!”

“I don't want to go!” I yelled back. I've always hated the first day of school, but knew arguing with my mom wouldn’t change anything. From my bedroom window, I saw the black limo pull up and sighed. The chance of a normal high school life seemed to slip away.

“Have a good day!" My dad smiled, peering around the corner of my room. "Here are some buttons to pass out to your friends.” He thrusted a handful of pins with his face on them into my hands.

“Great, thanks, Dad.” I hurriedly shoved them into my backpack as the driver honked the horn.

“How are you?” asked the new driver. “Are you ready to go?”

"Drop me off two blocks away from the school,” I demanded. “I don't want people to look at me as a stuck up brat!”

Ten minutes later, I'm gazing at the crowded sidewalks and all the different ways to go. I started my trek towards a large, stone fortress looking at the buildings I would now call school. Walking up the front stairs, girls were already giving me funny looks.

“Will you tell me where this classroom is?” I asked a girl, who had just sent me one of these said looks. She walked away as I pointed at my new schedule. I turned away before I noticed a tall skinny girl come up behind me and grab my shoulder.

“Hey, my name is Sofia Brown,” she said grinning. “You must be the new girl. My dad and I have been following your father’s campaign.”

Oh, great! This girl and her dad stalked my family, I thought. “Hey, here are some buttons if you want to take them to him.” I shrugged, emptying my pockets into her hands. “Do you mind telling me where this classroom is? I don't know where to go.”

“Sure, I'm going to that class, anyway.”

Walking into a large room with unfamiliar faces can be nerve-wracking, especially if you walk into a room full of people talking about sex. Then it's just scary. What makes it even scarier, you ask? When, besides the unfamiliar faces gawking at you, you see a box packed with sexual intercourse protection and a grocery store bag filled with bananas on the table. Then it becomes terrifying.
After all of my classes were finished, I walked outside into the hot summer day. I saw a car with my father’s face stuck to its side. I was furious with my dad. He sent a car with his face on it to pick me up on my first day at a new high school! Now what would everyone think of me? I was mortified.

“Mom, why the hell would dad send a car with his face on it to pick me up from school?” I demanded as I walked through the back door of the kitchen.

“I don't know, sweetie. Your father loves you, but also wants to win. Soon this will all be over and you won't be getting picked up in that car anymore,” she promised, smiling as she arranged a bouquet of flowers on the kitchen island.

The apartment was of very modern décor. There were different murals all over the walls, and everywhere you stepped were carefully placed granite tiles. The walls are beige in color, which I thought made everything boring. My opinions of how to decorate a house mean nothing to my parents; to them it is all about the hottest new trends. Everything always has to be up to presidential standings because our house is constantly being photographed and visited by congressmen.

Today is the final day of the election, which means I have to stand by my parents at the White House to see the final results. Everyone is skittish to see the final tally. I, on the other hand, cannot wait for them to come out. Since Mr. Brown is what I call a “stalker” towards my dad, I invited Sofia and him to come watch with us. The television screen blinks on. The room goes silent.

"...and our new president is... SENATOR KEVIN JACOBS!" Jumps of joy shake the atmosphere. The room sounds like a concert filled with blaring music and screaming fans. People were popping champagne bottles and pouring them everywhere.

“Congratulations, Daddy.”

“Thank you sweetie.”

Now that I am the first daughter, I get everything that comes with it: a big, scary bodyguard, a black limo, and finally a room in the White House. There are good and bad things about living here though. I get my own room, which I must say is rather amazing, and a walk in closet that's much like a store, but people are always looking and taking pictures of the massive White House. When you live with the President of the Untied States, you don’t get much privacy. I also never see my dad, and I wish I did.

Everyone at school treats me the same. Sort of anyways.

“Hey, I am Kathleen; I'm in your sex ed. class,” said a pretty girl with long blonde hair.

“Yeah, I know who you are," I stuttered. "On the first day of school I asked you a question and you walked away.”

Kathleen smiled sweetly. “Sorry about that. Anyways, I'm having a party on Saturday night.” She handed me an invitation. “I really hope you can come!”

I took it and examined the cover, trying to hide my excitement. “Thanks,” I said coyly.

As soon as I got home from school, I ran up the stairs into the oval office to ask my father if I was allowed to go to Kathleen’s party.

“Can I please go?” I was literally pleading on my knees

Dad looked up from some paperwork. “Your mom and I will decide later, but do not get mad if we decide against it.” He flicked his reading glasses up his nose and dove back into his work.

Why would I not be allowed to go? What did I do? These questions ran through my mind.

“Please, Dad,” I said pleading. “Sofia is allowed to go...”

“Sofia’s father is not the President," He didn't look up. "I don’t know who these people are and am not certain if they will or will not hurt you.” He started rising, so I quickly retreated and decided that I would wait until tomorrow to ask again.

I wandered down into the living room where I found my mom fussing over a table display. “Mom, will you please let me go? I'm finally making friends, but you and dad are trying to ruin it for me!” I said angrily.

“We're not trying to ruin anything,” she said impatiently. “Your father just has to be cautious now, and he doesn't want you to get hurt.”

Fast-forwarding a few days, it was the day of the party and my parents sat me down to talk.

“Honey,” my dad said as he glanced at my mom. I squirmed to the edge of my chair. “We decided to let you go to this party, but you have to promise that you will be very careful because we aren’t going to make your bodyguard go to a high school party; he will just drop you off.”

I clasped my hands on my knees. “I will, I swear!”

Later that night, the bodyguard took Sofia and me to Kathleen’s party. We were not exactly sure what to expect because we did not know a lot about Kathleen. All we knew was that we both wanted to have fun!

We walked into a large house with a black fence surrounding it. Kathleen was the first person we saw.

“Hey!” I shouted to her.

“Hey!" She flipped her hair behind her shoulder. "I'm so glad you could come,” she drawled. “Drinks and food are in the kitchen, make yourself at home.”

“Okay, thanks.”

I walked into the backyard to see who all was there, and of course I accidently knocked into a handsome guy in my grade.

I blushed. “I am so sorry.”

“It was my fault,” he smirked. “I'm Troy.”

“Khloe.”

There was a brief pause. “So... are you having fun?”

“I just got here, but I have been having fun ever since. Are you?"

“Yeah. Hey do you want to go somewhere and talk?” His blue eyes twinkled brightly.

I couldn't help but agree. “Sure.”

We walked into the house and sat down in the living room and just talked about school, and a lot of other things, until Sofia came and told me it were time to leave.

On the way home, I told Sofia about Troy. I was so excited. A guy actually talked to me for a long period of time without thinking I was a total waste of time! When we finally reached the White House, I said goodbye to Sofia and thank you to Mr. Brown. That night was one of the best nights of my life, until I walked into the entryway to see my parents fighting and my mom’s bags packed by the door. So much for things turning around.

MAC2010 said...
Well done, Kara! I am so pleased that you've posted your work and that you aspire to be a better writer. Best wishes with the publication of this piece, and keep at it!