Pork chops with no desert | Teen Ink

Pork chops with no desert

By DancingAtMidnight SILVER, Lebanon, Indiana
DancingAtMidnight SILVER, Lebanon, Indiana

"Love is given, not earned."

I walk slowly inside covered in sweat and dirt. I wipe my feet and look up to see Eric sitting on the couch reading the paper.
"Hi sweetheart," I mutter.
"How was your day?"
"Same as usual, would you believe it, Josh tried to say he was getting the new promotion that everyone is talking about."
"Isn't he the one who keeps breaking the fax machine on purpose and trying to blame it on you?"
"Yeah that's him. He's such an a**. Am I right?"
"Always darling. I already started making dinner, is pork chops all right?"
"Perfect babe, and I think I'll skip on desert tonight, so don't bother making it. Kay?"
"Alright." I start to walk into the kitchen hoping tonight is peaceful.
"What was that?" He said sounding angry. I stopped and turned toward him.
"What was what?"
"Don't be a smart a**, you almost sounded annoyed with me. Do you want me to get fat?"
"No dear."
"Do you not want me to look my best."
"No I do want you too."
"Good, now go finish my dinner."
"Of course." I say while turning towards the kitchen. Why do I always upset him, it's my own fault. It's like he says, I'm a b****. I pull the pork chops out of the oven and set the table, then I grab my power bar and call Eric to dinner.
"Oh babe, this looks perfect. How's your dinner?" I chew on my power bar and smile.
"It's perfect."
"You see hun, I told you. You only need one power bar a day then as long as you don't eat anything else you'll look amazing. Look! Your already looking less fat."
"Yes, I should've listened to you sooner." I smile at him, he cares so much for me and how I look.
"Um, this pork chop is cold."
"Oh I'm so sorry, I'll go heat it up for you."
"No! It'll only get soggy! You can't even make a simple pork chop!" He starts to clench his fists as I wince. I can't believe I screwed it up again. I'm so stupid. Then he sighed and un-clenched his fists.
"No, it's fine. I'll just sit here while you go get desert."
"Desert?"
"Yes dear, the usually sweet thing that comes after dinner. I mean I know your slow but I didn't think you were that bad." He laughed. I started to panic and thinking of anything I could make in the next ten seconds.
"Um, you said you didn't want anything for desert."
"Well, you at least made something didn't you?"
"I- um- well you said-"
"What is wrong with you, you stupid cow!?" He jumped up from his chair and raised his hand. I got ready for what was coming and shut my eyes, then I felt the tearing pain across my face and fell back in my chair.
"You stupid clutz! Go outside! I don't want to see your ugly face!" I run outside and to the hammock. I decide to sleep here and climb onto the hammock and shut my eyes. At least the night is over.

This isn't based off a true story. After playing my sims game for awhile I came up with an idea of a poor, unfortunate wife and her abusive husband.

on Mar. 11 2010 at 9:55 am

"Love is given, not earned."

Well thank you for telling me about the errors lol. But I only made it so she didn't ever think bad about him cause alot of the time when girls are in a abusive relationship they blame everything on themselves. But I understand where you're coming from.

the.kanguru GOLD, Irvine, California

"Why is Jesus holding a machine gun?"
"Maybe it's part of his therapy."

The wife's narration seems somewhat two-dimensional. I can't imagine anybody who wouldn't even think a sour thought towards a husband like that. Also, there are several grammatical errors (sorry, pet peeve): you substituted "your" for "you're" and "too" for "to"...