Distracted Demeanor | Teen Ink

Distracted Demeanor

February 25, 2010
By LindseyRan BRONZE, East Brunswick, New Jersey
LindseyRan BRONZE, East Brunswick, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
if everything doesn't happen for a reason, then we're all pretty much f-cked, because each decision we make could be screwing up out lives forever.


I’ll admit it; I don’t have the world’s greatest attention span. And alright, maybe I don’t get the best grades in school, but I work hard. I try to sit next to Focus if I can, but her perfect posture and widened eyes, ready to absorb everything my teacher says, are pretty overwhelming. Today she was sitting in the front of the room long before I got there, with all of the other smart kids. I stumbled in after the late bell, saw her already sitting with her friends, and slumped to the back of the room.
I was doing okay for awhile, attempting to take notes, but of course, who would appear next to me but the same stupid little kid that will never calm down. Distraction popped up out of nowhere, wearing a dorky Rugrats shirt and sitting in one of those little kindergarten chairs made of bright orange plastic that only five year olds can fit in.
“HEY! HI! HELLO! HIYA!” he shouted at me, attempting to stand on his chair to scream in my ear louder. I pushed down on his already messy hair to force him back into his seat.
“Stop that,” I scolded, “now is obviously not the time. Can’t you leave and come back to annoy me at lunch or something?!” He looked a little sad and slumped over, but kept his ADD-inflicted energy and bounced in his chair.
“WHOA WHOA WHOA!” Distraction yelled only seconds later, deliberately poking me in the back violently. I turned to him in disgust.
“I’m sorry, are you trying to make me fail?”
“No, no, no, but LOOK! There’s a BIRD! Outside the window!” He stood on his chair again and twisted my neck, forcing to me to observe whatever he was so interested in. Wow, he was right, I thought, this is a really cool bird, I wonder if it’s native to here or if… But I wasn’t going to fall for that again as I had in the past. But right after I started acting like Focus again, Distraction got bored again.
“OH COME ON,” I complained to him, “STOP THAT,” while I pulled his Spongebob pencil out of his hand so he would stop doodling stars and stick people on my desk.
“Look what I drew!” he said excitedly, pointing at his array of little people. Soon I too became immersed in the wonders of doodling, as I lost all interest in whatever stupid grammar rules we were learning. I wasn’t able to pull myself back down to earth until a full ten minutes later, at the same time that my teacher started handing out a Pop Quiz on what I was supposed to be taking notes on.
As I gasped in shock (and quite a bit out of fear for my grade), I turned to Distraction, who gave me a devilish smirk that should not have appeared on a five year old's face. I furiously attempted to flip through the few notes I had taken.
“Maybe next time you should pay attention,” he whispered with a hint of evil, “it’s not a good habit, getting distracted easily.” And before I could grab him from the neck of his shirt to yell at him for causing this horrible situation, he grabbed his annoying plastic chair and popped out of sight again.
The next day, I got to class plenty early, and grabbed the seat closest to Focus.

The author's comments:
Originally written as an English assignment, but I was really happy with how it came out.
Basically - distraction in the form of a five year old.