Diary of a Teenage Sociopath (Part 4) An Inch from Death

"These eyes will deceive you, they will destroy you. They will take from you, your innocence, your pride, and eventually your soul. These eyes do not see what you and I see. Behind these eyes, one finds only blackness, the absence of light, these are the eyes psychopath."

Halloween

~~~
We sat in the waiting room of the hospital for hours while the doctors tried to fix Lilly; my mother cried the whole time. Nicky’s continuous staring was seriously starting to wear on me. I tried to ignore her until I couldn’t take it anymore. I lifted my head and looked at her with a fierce gaze. She became tense, but didn’t look away. We stared each other down. ‘If she had any intelligence, she wouldn’t be doing this,’ I thought.
The voice of the doctor finally broke our stare. “Mr. and Mrs. Fuller?” he said. My father jumped out of his chair and walked to the doctor, and my mother followed. “She’s in stable condition at the moment.” he said quietly. I had to strain my ears to hear him. “But her leg suffered a spiral fracture, and-”
“A spiral fracture?” interrupted my mother with alarm.
“A spiral fracture,” the doctor explained, “is when the bone is literally twisted sideways so hard that it snaps. Your daughters’ was actually a fairly minor one. In severe cases, the foot might be turned so it is facing completely backwards.” My mother went pale. ‘Looks like someone needs to work on there bed-side manor,’ I thought sarcastically.
“But as I said,” the doctor continued, “hers’ is a minor one. She also has an open fracture in her wrist, and she has a concussion. She broke six of her ribs and completely shattered two. Her xiphoid process was also broken; cutting into her liver. We managed to stop the internal bleeding, but she lost a lot of blood and is receiving a transfusion. Luckily she won’t need a transplant.
“We’re taking more x-rays, but it appears that she might also have broken some vertebrae. Her overall condition is bad, but it could have been a lot worse.” He hesitated and then continued, “You said that she fell down the stairs?” the doctor asked. My father looked at him warily, “Yes. My other daughter Erin saw what happened.” He turned and waved for me to come. I sighed and walked to them. “Erin,” the doctor asked, “you saw what happened?”
“Yes. I was just walking out of my room when I saw her fall.” I said trying to make myself sound devastated.
“And she just fell?” He asked doubtfully. “What was she doing?”
“Her and my cousin we’re playing hide and seek. She was counting at the top of the stairs.”
“Hum…” he thought for a moment, “Thank you Erin. You can sit down now.” I walked to my seat and sat down. Nicky glared at me and we continued our little staring game. “Can we see her?” my mother asked hopefully.
“Of course, this way.” He started down the hall, and my parents followed.

I broke away from Nicky’s stare and watched them go down the hall. I jumped and ran after them.
I followed them to a room that smelled like antiseptic and medicine. They didn’t seem to know that I was following them, so I waited out side the door and listened to what they were saying. “Oh Lilly!” I heard my mother say with terror. My curiosity got the better of me and I looked inside the door. Lilly was lying on a bed with a respirator on her face and she had an I.V. in her arm. I never had seen anybody with as many cuts or bruises as she had. I quickly pulled my head back around as the doctor looked towards the door.
“Did anyone at your party have a grudge against your daughter?” the doctor asked. “No! Of course not! She’s only six!” my father retorted hostilely.
“I’m sorry, but the extent of her injuries suggests that she didn’t fall but was pushed.”
“Pushed?! But every one loves Lilly.” I could hear the tears in my mothers’ voice.
“Please don’t take offence, but your daughter Erin? Dose she have a history of violence, or portray violent tendencies?” I felt the anger rise up inside of myself. ‘How can he know?!’ I thought furiously. ‘My acting was perfect!”
“Erin is adopted. She came to live with us when she was six.” My father explained. “There was one incident when she was seven. But she would never hurt her sister.”
“What did she do?” the doctor asked.
“Her cat bit her, and, well, she killed it.”
“Hum…” the doctor didn’t say anything after that.
“What are you doing?” I spun around and saw Nicky standing behind me. I glared at her. “It’s none of your business.” I said in a menacingly low voice. I was enjoying being able to be myself. I saw fear strike in her eyes. I walked past her and towards the waiting room, and she followed me.
“I saw what you did. I know you pushed her,” she said.
I stopped and turned around slowly for affect. “Do you really think that’s the smartest thing to say to me Nicky? If I am willing to push my six year old sister down the stairs, what do you think I can do to you?”

I saw her breathing increase. “Why did you do it anyway?” she hedged. “I mean, what did she ever do to you to cause you to push her down a flight of stairs?”
“She was annoying.”
“That’s it?! You tried to kill her because she was ‘annoying’?”
“Yep.”
“You are a complete psychopath!”
“You know, you are starting to become really annoying too.” I said irritated.

“So what, you’re going to try and kill me to?” She said sarcastically.
“I’m seriously considering it!” I was getting sick of her. She stepped back in alarm; it was obviously not the response she was expecting. “So either shut-up and go away or tell me so I can kill now you and get it over with!” I continued sharply.
She stood there for a minute dumbfounded, then started to walk past me to the waiting room. I quickly considered my options: ‘if I let her go,’ I thought, ‘she could tell someone. But if I just kill her now, I’ll be in the clear.’
Nicky walked by me with her head down. I turned around and watched her for second, trying to decide how best to do it. I saw a fire extinguisher hanging from the wall. ‘Perfect.’ I thought. I quickly walked up behind her and shoved her as hard as I could into the corner of the wall. She hit with a loud bang and then fell to the ground. I picked up the fire extinguisher and walked over to her. She moaned and rolled over; she had a cut on her forehead that looked to be about four inches long. There was blood running down her face. I raised the fire extinguisher getting ready to drop it on her head.
“Erin! Stop!” I heard someone yell just before I was shoved to the ground. The fire extinguisher went flying and hit a wall. I was lying on my stomach when my father grabbed me by the arm and pulled up. “Erin! What is wrong with you!” he said shaking me. I simply smiled at him for effect.
“Can you hear me?” the doctor said as he looked at Nicky’s wound. She replied with another moan. “What happened?!” my mother shrieked as she ran down the hall.
“Someone call the police!” my father said; he was still looking at me with shock.
They took Nicky away on a stretcher, and as much as I wanted to kill her, I was quite satisfied with what I had accomplished. My father continued to gawk at me with dismay. “How could you try to kill your own sister Erin?” his voice quivered as he spoke. I thought about it for a second. “Like I told Nicky, she was annoying me.”
He looked at me in astonishment, but didn’t say anything else.

~~~

When the police arrived, I was arrested and taken to jail. Two months later, my trial started. I was tried as an adult on two counts of attempted murder in the first degree. Nicky-who got off with no more then a concussion and ninety-six stitches- was called to testify, as was Lilly-who almost completely recovered except for a permanent limp. I was found guilty and sentenced to a psychiatric detention facility. And I have been here for the past three years.
People will try to forget about me, brush me off as a bad memory. They will move on and think of me as a ghost of their past, never to be seen again. But they’re wrong. I will get out of here. I will find them. And I will finish what I started.

lucygirl26 said...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:44 am
LOVE YOUR WORK.

bahannahpeel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Loved it! So creepy and intriguing... I actually felt really bad for Erin. You should definitely make a sequel!

maverick1520 said...
Dec. 7, 2010 at 8:24 am
This is soooo good, you totally beat me though I was writing a book with the same title. I hope it gets published, and maybe a little longer. Good job.

-MidnightAngel- replied...
Thank you:)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow this was so incredible!  Very creepy and haunting, quite effective.  Awesome!

DHgirl said...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 12:31 am
i took my pulse b4 i read this and it was normal and slow but now its going insane! kinda lik erin! lol! omg u HAVE to write more!!! i <3 it. Best. Book. Ever.

WhisperingDeath replied...
Just so everyone knows, they're won't be a sequil to D.T.S on TeenInk. It's way to long, already past 100 pages! I'm atempting to get it published though:-D  

~Air~ said...
This was really good! I liked it a bunch! I hope you continue to write!!!

Zephyr said...
Really entertaining story! Hope you decide to write a sequel.

Mathew Rush said...
Mar. 10, 2010 at 10:11 am
Fantastic story! Please write more, soon.

Pensive?Gurl said...
LOVED IT!!!!!!

-Kal- said...
That was an amazing story, amazingly creepy, but amazing none-the-less. Lol Great job. I love the fact that this seems to be original and not a spin-off of something else. Please let us know when you have more up :)

A_Dreamer said...
Wow . . .
The story is written very well, but I sure hope she does change at the end!

WRIT3R4LIF3 said...
i loved this story! i can't wait till you write more! awesome, keep on writing!

Hercules13 replied...
Absolutely loved it, i really hope you continue to write.

lifeisajourney This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It was amazing keep writing girl!!!! I love the events that happen to Erin.

Born_to_fly replied...
That was amazing!

MidnightsFire replied...
LOLzzz Thanks:)