Dont forget hope | Teen Ink

Dont forget hope

February 6, 2010
By Sweatheart SILVER, BPT, Connecticut
Sweatheart SILVER, BPT, Connecticut
5 articles 0 photos 76 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can do anything


I remember my long, beautiful, luscious, ebony hair. My glowing skin that all the girls envied. My bubbling and cheerful personality that everyone admired. Now I look at myself and I see a bald empty head with no hint of hair on it. A dark ashy looking skin that seems as if it has been scarred by fire. My cheerful personality turned into misery and depression.I look at myself and I realize how my life changed in one instant. In one instant my life changed from being a healthy lively girl to a victim of cancer. I feel someone touch my shoulder I turn around to see my mother. My mother has been there with me through this horrible tragedy. Not once has she left my side. I could see the dark circles around her eyes symbolizing all those sleepless nights watching over me. She was not just my mother, she was an angel sent from heaven. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Just looking at how horrible I look" I sighed. "Dont say that you are a beautiful young lady" she said."Too bad my my life is almost over and that my beauty will never be able to embrace itself again."I said. I could see my mothers honey colored eyes turn into stormy clouds. She knew what I was saying was true. Not long ago the doctor had told my mother and I that the only way I would be able to survive was with a lung transplant and since my mom had no money for such a surgery I was destined to die. "You cant lose hope sweetie I know we will find the money some how" my mother said trying to convince me. "Hope is not in my vocabulary any more" I said as I walked into the kitchen to find my best friend Christian whom had also been a victim of cancer. He had told me he had a surprise for me but I had a feeling that no surprise will ever cheer me up. "So what was the surprise you had for me?"I asked as my mother helped me sit down on a chair. " Maribel I have seen you fight for your life for months" he said."and I admire that, I admire that you wouldn't give up no matter what. But I have also seen that courage and determination that you once had slowly fade away and I dont want that to happen to you I dont want you to lose hope." "What are you trying to say?" I asked confused. "I'm trying to say that if you and your mother permit me it would be a honor to pay for your transplant" "Are you crazy how are you going to pay for it" I exclaimed. "Are you forgetting that I am a millionaire" he said."Maribel this is a lifetime opportunity please tell me that you accept my offer" "Of course she does" my mother said her eyes gleaming brightly, tears running down her cheeks. She hugged me tightly and in that moment the word hope seemed so real so wonderful that all I could remember were my mothers words"You cant lose hope...".


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because my mother once had cancer and I remember the rough times we passed through but we never once lost hope.