Sea Glass

If Sarah and I dropped dead on the beach and no one was here, would anyone know? Probably not; we’re here by ourselves, and the nearest town is a mile away. It’s early morning, the clouds orange and pink. The sun is their breakfast, melting butter on the sea.

Among the pebbles by the water, bright-coloured sea glass reflects the sun. Sarah plucks a red shard and holds it to her eye, dying her blue iris a translucent plum. The tide has washed away all traces of footprints. I pretend we’re the first ones ever to be here. I slide off my sandals and dig in my toes, cool saltwater licking at my heels.

Sarah skips ahead, foam flip-flops in hand, along where the ocean kisses the sand. She unties her hair, a tangle of black curls, from the knot at the nape of her neck. The wind flattens my cotton T-shirt against my stomach, and Sarah splashes me every time she skips. The sun warms us, dribbling across the waves; maybe it’s the clouds’ breakfast, but maybe it’s ours.

PaolaC. said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 2:37 am

I like the descriptions of your characters actions. I'm interested in your other work too.

Check out some of mine sometime, when you get a chance? ;)

ThisLitIsBananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sure! thanks so much :)

DallysGrrl said...
I really enjoyed this!!! awesome job!!! ur rite, it doent need much of a plot, although it would b cool 2 expand on it. Great job though. very great job. Keep on writing, and mayb check out my work???? i luv commments and i luv seeing that people have read my work.

This*Lit*Is*Bananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thanks! And sure, I'll check out some of your stuff! I luv comments to - it's so hard to get recognition!

DallysGrrl replied...
Thank you!!