The Grime of Life

I look down upon my two dear hands, covered in the grime that is life, forced to endure pain and blood and sweat, and all for what? What end have I reached, standing here, alone, lifeless, staring off into the blank nothingness that is everything. Every single point of life, it is nothing. There is nothing. Why even bother? Why torture myself further? Why not end it, right here, right now? 'Because there's more to live for.' the voice whispers in my head. Is there? Is there really? 'Yes.' So calm and collected. But, then again, you've never lived, never dreamed. 'But I have. I am you, as you are me, and we are everything.' The voice laughs, laughs at me, at my foolishness, a clear trickle of soft, melodious sound, somewhat like a bell. Do I listen to it? I turn around and see a pinpoint of light slowly making its way towards me. Do I go through with it? The light forms itself into a human shape, still steadily approaching. What do I do? The light engulfs me, and I see her. What do I say? "Hey." she whispers in that bell-like voice that I know so well. She has a flowing white dress on. Beautiful. "Hi." I mumble, somewhat awkwardly. Then I take in my surroundings. The sun, the flowers, the sky. All forming one magnificent tapestry, with her in the middle of it all. "Come on. I'll buy you lunch." She tells me, her eyes boring into my very soul, her hair reflecting the midday sun. Beautiful. She turns and begins to walk away. I look down at my hands, and wipe them on my jeans, before following her.

falling-rain said...
Jan. 24, 2012 at 10:01 am
BRANDO!! LOVE YUR STUFF!! jeez cant tell yu that enough.. your so talented and succesfull... lifes gna go good for yu.. keep writing! i believe in yu! thanks for being my role model :) Luv YUR cuz:D

GreenEyedGirl14 said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:56 am
Your stories are absolutely amazing. Please keep writing! I loved the way that he describes her so simply... just beautiful. It was written very well. Good job!

kenziep. said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:57 am
I really like it!!! I think everybody has writings that just come to them. Like me. Sometimes i just write. Hey check out some of my work too! Keep up the good work!!!

stargazer_lilly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i really liked this! it was short, fairly simple, yet you got a lot into the story... it's a little vague, but i like it that way. Also, the end where he wipes his hands on his jeans was good. nicely written...

Bambi3226 said...
For future reference, this is by me...