Marine | Teen Ink

Marine

January 28, 2010
By koolaid-man BRONZE, Fonda, New York
koolaid-man BRONZE, Fonda, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Military college-went there for the past 4 years and now I’m free. It was crazy. I had to get up at 5 in the morning and run believe me it’s not fun at first I thought I was crazy going there but when I actually started getting used to it which was about year two and then it was kind of fun. It actually paid off because in 2 months I am going to fight for our country.
Well now I am a marine, military college that ended 2 years ago. I met some good friends and they were good friends. I grew up in Los Angeles so I had a lot of friends but they were always in trouble and I told them I was going to join the military and they laughed at me. I’ll show them I actually didn’t think I was going to be a marine, my great grandfather was a marine but he died in WWII my grandpa said he was a hero so now I try to live up to him. It is so hard you have to be in amazing shape and not be afraid of dying because marines go in first when I heard that I almost got scared and then I started thinking what great grandpa would do he has a purple heart that is for getting injured in a war. I hope I don’t get hurt, but I’ll try not to.
There is about one month before I go to Iraq. I am nervous but not so scared, it feels like I am doing the right thing I know I am I am doing good for my country like, J.F.K said “Ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country.” That was a very inspiring quote. I am going, and I will come back safe.
One week until I go to Iraq I am so scared I don’t think I can go through with this. I don’t know what will happen I might get shot, I might get stabbed, I might get blown up, I might die. But let’s look at the positives I am going and I am doing well for my country.
I am going today I can’t do it no I can’t yes I can I know I can. Then I kissed my wife my parents and my new baby goodbye and was off. It was a good 3 hour drive and a bunch of times I stopped and was about to turn around but I am going to go and I will come back alive. Because I have people to live for and I want to see my baby girl grow up her my love will be my bullet-proof vest I will come back in 14 months unless we win while I am over there but I will see her grow up. I finally got to my base and I broke out in tears I started to turn around but something stopped me I’m getting on my plane to go to Iraq wish me luck.