Bittersweet Dreams

I ran, as fast as I could, from something I couldn’t fathom. I pushed my way through the haze, knowing nothing of where I was or even where I was going. Tears drenched my face and continued to cloud my already distorted vision. Though I could sense the tumult around me, I could hear nothing, feel nothing – only the concrete strip ahead of me, endlessly stretching into oblivion.

-
I wiped the moisture from my eyes, still running, scarcely breathing. Through my thick veil of tears, he was the only thing I saw. The path I ran shrunk, and became just the ordinary path I had walked on every day. It was no longer an unknown oblivion, and he was at the end of it, arms outstretched and welcoming. I ran into them, and grasped him tightly around the waist, afraid that he’d disappear. Different tears began to fall, and he stroked my hair, muttering soothing words, letting my cry to my heart’s content. When the tears came slower, he stayed his hand and everything went still. He cupped my chin, pulling my face up to look at him. He didn’t say anything. He didn’t have to. Every fear and doubt I had dissolved with the familiar warmth of his skin and his sincere, unwavering gaze. His arms assured me that he would be my safe haven when all else failed.

-
As swiftly as he had appeared, he was yanked out of my arms and everything went dark.

-
I awoke with a gasp. I was back in the darkness of my room; its cozy comforter and warm pillows. I pulled the earbuds out of my ears, and laid back heavily against my pillows once more. I heaved an exhausted sigh. It was a dream. Only a dream. How lovely it had been to see him again. The person who filled my memories with everything I held dear. If every night I could dream of him, I wish I would sleep forever.

jesseay09 said...

I feel that way like when your dreaming about someone or something and you don't ever want to get up.