The Unknown | Teen Ink

The Unknown

By kostitsyn74cv SILVER, Hudson, Massachusetts
kostitsyn74cv SILVER, Hudson, Massachusetts

I stared at her in curiosity. They were strangers to me, and I knew nothing about them. I had always been a kind man. It was part of my nature. It was one of the first lessons my mother taught me as a kid growing up on Park St. We never were a rich family, but what does being rich have to do with anything anyway? Ever since my mother explained how Mary Lou had better clothes and belonging to me when I was seven, I realized how much of a better person I could be without those things. And here I am, 27 years later. I didn’t know what she was doing and I didn’t know why. But after I saw the relief on her face, I knew I was doing the right thing. I wasn’t sure if I should ask her any questions, so I was left to assume as she sat in silence and I rowed the boat.
Over the ten minutes that had passed, I came up with a few ideas. She was a middle-aged woman named Elizabeth with a baby girl in her hands, and she told me to take her far, far away. This wasn’t enough information to cure my curiosity. There was a story behind what was happening. I was just too scared to ask what it was. I glanced back at the ocean, and my arms began to be weary. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed her glancing back at me. I knew it was none of my business, but I wanted to know, listen to, and understand her. I wanted her to want to tell me everything she was going through, even though I knew she wouldn’t. So I remained in silence, because it was the only thing I was sure of doing at this point.
She looked at me for a few seconds, and I saw she was going to say something, so I smiled. “Her name is Lucienne. She’s only 18 months. She’s my only baby, and I really really love her,” She said.

I answered back saying, “And I believe you. She has the prettiest eyes. And she reminds me of my niece.”

“Do you have any of your own?” She asked.

“No, not yet. I’m still waiting on the right woman,” I said with a chuckle.

She replied, “You’re a smart man.” And it left me to wonder. Why would she say something like that, and does she truly mean it? I didn’t know how to respond, so I didn’t say anything. I could see she grew sad at each moment that passed. I figured it was time for a new topic. I decided on asking her, “So far far away, eh? Did you have anything in mind?”

“No, I need to get away. So anywhere will do, please,” she said in a slight whisper.

“Ma’am, I’ve known you for about an hour, and you seem like a pleasant lady. But it’s hard for me to take you away when I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing. And you look like you know what you’re doing, don’t get me wrong. But if you don’t mind me asking, what exactly is going on?” I asked.

I felt bad after those few words slipped right across my mouth. Then there was more silence, and more rowing right into the unknown.