Britain’s Last Fall | Teen Ink

Britain’s Last Fall

By StephenC. BRONZE, Ventnor City, New Jersey
StephenC. BRONZE, Ventnor City, New Jersey

Do not be afraid to pick up the rose, but beware the wretched thorns.

I was blinded…Ughh...my head...I thought painfully. I thought I was dying. I lost my hearing as well. A tremendous pain erupted in my leg. Then, I regained pieces of my sight, like a kaleidoscope. Then my hearing came back. I noticed British soldiers sprinting through this blazing desert into rundown homes where turban-wearing people with AK-47s shot at them in repetitive bursts. I realized I was in army fatigues and about 50 pounds of equipment and was clutching a L85A1 bullpup assault rifle. (A bullpup assault rifle is a rifle that has the trigger in front of the clip, instead of the regular rifle that has the clip in front.) Suddenly my memory came back to me in a flash. I was a British Army Commando (similar to the U.S. Marine) in the tag team war of the US and the UK in Afghanistan.
I tried to figure out why my leg ached so much when a bullet pummeled through the sand beside me. I quickly took cover behind a deserted US convoy vehicle that was ridden in bullets. I peeked and saw a terrorist sharpshooter (sniper) camouflaged with the sand. He was carrying a Dragunov SVD 7.62 mm sniper rifle and shot at the convoy that made a sharp ‘PING’ on impact. I saw that I had a large gaping wound in my left thigh. I had been shot.
‘PING!’ ‘CLING…CLACK...PING!’ The sniper repetitively shot at me with the SVD. I could see the shells flying in the air while another shot was fired. An American Marine stood before me, shouting at me, and then I heard a piercing ‘PUTT’ and the soldier fell to the ground, face crimson with blood. Oh my god! I thought. I shot on and off from the edge of the convoy until…BOOOOM!!!!!!!! A gas tanker exploded because a mortar hit the tanker. The shockwave was incredible. The sniper was hit in between the forehead with a piece of shrapnel, dead in his tracks. I was blown at least 10 feet away from the convoy.
Quickly, I regained balance and limped across the desert to a field medic. He patched me up, gave me some morphine, and sent me on my way, under 1 minute. I radioed a helicopter to pick me up and to take me away. I flew into the distance and away from the retched desert…