Don't Fade | Teen Ink

Don't Fade

By JustinR BRONZE, Delaware, Ohio
JustinR BRONZE, Delaware, Ohio

"Watching the blue auras stream across the sky, you don't know what's possible."

“Nicole? Is Nicole here?” The teacher’s eyes scanned the classroom.

“Sorry, she’s not here,” I said.

“Oh, she’s not? Thank you, Aidan.

Sitting in class, rapping on the desk, my focus starts to fade. Your seat next to me holds empty space. You’re not here today. Apparently, you’re nowhere at all. They think you’re sick but there’s more happening beyond their eyes. You’re sick of life and you’ve finally drowned in the suds of your “happiness”.

“Dude, Aidan,” the boy next to me whispers, “You should’ve been at that party.”

“Yeah, sorry. I had loads of homework. Was Nicole there?”

“Hell yeah, She WAS the party. Well until the ambulance arrived…”

You say the nights where you can’t remember are your happiest. You fake happiness through a pitcher. You hide in the blur of the moment that holds no future or past. And you slowly begin to fade. But once you wake up from your lost dreams, you relive the nightmare of being awake. Time rewinds in your mind, playing back all the bad things you wish you could forget.

“Aidan! Wake up!” The teacher yelled across the room.

“Huh? Oh, sorry. I’m awake.”

“Thank you. Now, can you tell the class the answer to problem thirteen?”

You call yourself unlucky. You didn’t ask for your life. You never wanted it in the first place. But do you plan on hiding from it forever? Do you plan on hiding behind that foamy glass? You need to face Time. Face your past. Just be stronger!

“Hey, Aidan,” a girl said as she passed me in the hall, “You going to the game tonight?”

“Sorry, but I need to be somewhere.”

“Oh,” she sighed, “Are you visiting her?”

You might think that your “happiness” is protecting you but it’s not! It’s making you slowly disappear. Your mind and your body have been destroyed so much that you’ve ended up in the hospital! Do you want to fade? Is that why you…

“Welcome to Grey stone memorial hospital,” The receptionist smiled, “May I help you, sir?”

ALCOHAL is NOT a shield. It’s more of a bomb just waiting to explode in your hands.

“Nicole Gale?” The nurse flipped through the papers on her clipboard. “She’s in room 2D. Just down this hallway.”

If you want something to protect you then let it be me. Quit turning to the “happiness” and go for the real happiness. You just can’t continue on like this or else you might end up in an even longer sleep; one that you won’t be able to awaken from. Just listen to me…

“Hey, Nicole.”

Her pale body continued to sleep without the slightest bit of movement.

“Wake up soon. Please.”

Because I don’t want you to fade…

I hate it when I hear my friends have been drinking.