Dreamland | Teen Ink

Dreamland

By seay2010 BRONZE, Gastonia, North Carolina
seay2010 BRONZE, Gastonia, North Carolina

I actually had a hard time getting into this book at first. I would read it and put it down. Finally, I told myself I need to read more than a chapter to see if I like this book. And thank God I did. This ended up being one of my favorite books that I have read by Sarah Dessen. The book starts out with the main character Caitlin’s sister Cass running away. Cass was tired of living the perfect life. She felt like running away was her only way out. In the midst of dealing with Cass running away she also feels like she now has to live up to what Cass was going to be. She did not want to do this but she tries. She becomes a part of the cheerleading squad and allows her mom to become involved with her life. Before Cass ran away, her mom always followed Cass in whatever she was doing. If she had any type of practice, homework, or meetings her mother knew about. Now Caitlin is experiencing this. Caitlin is upset that her sister ran away and she does not like her mom being down her back all the time. Then, she becomes involved with a boy named Rogerson. Everything was great; she thought they were perfect for each other. Little did she know he was leading her down the wrong path. He smoked and dealt pot and eventually she began smoking with him. After a couple of months of dating he became very protective. She could not talk to any guys much less even dare to look another guy’s way. With that said what would you think the outcome of the book will be? This book keeps you wanting more. You want to know what is going to happen next. To me this book is a touching book that could change someone’s life if they are going through a similar situation as Caitlin. Even though I have never experienced what Caitlin experiences in the book it still made me view my life differently and just thank God that I have never been in her shoes. The author of this book, Sarah Dessen, has quite a few books she has published. Ever book I have read by her has touched me in different ways. She really makes you think about life and different situations people go through. Her books are heart touching. She is by far my favorite author. I recommend all of her books.