Loneliness of Immigration | Teen Ink

Loneliness of Immigration

January 5, 2010
By 0122499 BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington
0122499 BRONZE, Gig Harbor, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

July 27, 2009


This is my first journal writing telling of my journey from Cancun, Mexico to Galveston, Texas. My name is Eduardo. I am 18 years old. I was born and raised in Mexico. My family and I are not very close. My mom passed away when I was 5 years old. She died in a car accident by someone who was intoxicated. My dad is a tough guy. After my mom died, he sent my sister and me to live with his sister because he didn’t know how to care for us. It was clear from the first day that my sister and I were a burden to my aunt and I decided that day, when I was old enough, I would leave and never come back. Within the neighborhood where I have grown up, there is not a single guy my age who has not become part of a gang, or become a drug dealer, or a drug addict. This is not the type of life I want to live. I hear America is a land of opportunity. Although I have no legal way to get there, I am determined to try to make a new life there.


This morning I finished packing all my valuable belongings into a small water proof bag I can easily carry on my back. I then filled my small fishing boat with gas. I have about enough food to last me about one week. I am ready to leave Cancun, cross the Gulf of Mexico and head to Galveston. I expect to be able to drive my boat for 2 days and then I will have to row the rest of the way. I have shredded all my forms of identification so if I get caught along the way, nobody will know who I am. I will keep you posted on how the journey goes.


August 4, 2009


I have arrived in Galveston. Late last night, I was just off the coast after three days of a lot of rowing. I could see the flood light in front of me a ways so the border control could see if anyone was trying to cross the border illegally. I knew I would have to ditch my boat and swim to shore. About one hundred yards off shore, I jumped over board and swam. As the flood light closed in, I went under water until it passed again. Then I would swim a ways and do it again. Once I reached to shore, I ran behind a bush and began to walk through the brush to the nearest highway. It has been seven days since I have seen anyone or been able to talk with anyone. I feel completely isolated. I hope my decision to leave Mexico was a good idea.






August 11, 2009


I have been traveling through Galveston for seven days now. I have seen many signs saying I am heading in the right direction for Houston I heard it’s a bigger city with more opportunities for work. During these seven days I have been very lucky with the whether it hasn’t rained yet. I have been sleeping under over passes, I lay my extra clothing over the top of me for warmth. I have not been able to talk to anyone this whole time I don’t know any English. It is very lonely I hope in Houston I meet someone I can communicate with. I will keep you updated on when I arrive in Houston.

August 14, 2009


I have just arrived in Houston it is way different from Galveston there is way more people and a lot of buildings. As I was walking down the street I saw another fellow Mexican I went up to talk to him. He new Spanish as well this was the first person I have talked to sense I left Mexico. He told me he would give me his number if I ever wanted to work. I told him I would find a pay phone and call him tomorrow he laughed. This mans name was Juan he owns a lawn mowing company. I will call him tomorrow and let you know how it goes.


December 12, 2009


I am very sorry I have been very busy. I called Juan that next morning and he told me to meet him in the same spot were I first met him and he said to hurry. I ran from the pay phone to the spot to meet him he was there he offered me a full time job with him and three other Mexican men doing yard work. The pay was good it was minimum wage but it was more then what I was expecting. I am doing very good now I eat full meals every day I found a cheaper apartment. I am taking the bus to meet Juan for work every morning, so now my goal is to get a car. I called my sister the other day she is a nurse in Mexico, we both figured out that me doing yard work with Juan for minimum wage is making me more money than she is being a nurse in Mexico. I would never take back my decision to flee Mexico. America really is a place full of opportunities.